Ruvi, Vim, Ruby

redroofgreentree

Hi!

Is Ruvi (http://ruvi.rubyforge.org/) still active? If not, is there any
interest in re-implementing a subset of VIM in ruby?

Advantages of this would be:
(1) Make VIM more hackable.
(A) I do not have the talent to understand the C portions of the VIM code
(B) I don't like the vimscript language very much
(2) Make the VIM-script langauge Ruby. More hackable. (I.e 1)
(3) Easier to integrate with ruby-debug / irb
(4) Make VIM better at editing Ruby code then Emacs. (I love VIM; but almost
tempted to switch.)

Thanks!

redroofgreentree

Oh, I forgot one really important thing -- use Ruby to parse Ruby; to
automatically get identing right for free

robert.dober

Oh, I forgot one really important thing -- use Ruby to parse Ruby; to
automatically get identing right for free
Appealing ideas, I have no idea about ruvi though.

Robert

Martin Krauskopf

redroofgreentree said:
Hi!

Is Ruvi (http://ruvi.rubyforge.org/) still active? If not, is there any
interest in re-implementing a subset of VIM in ruby?

Advantages of this would be:
(1) Make VIM more hackable.
(A) I do not have the talent to understand the C portions of the VIM code
(B) I don't like the vimscript language very much
(2) Make the VIM-script langauge Ruby. More hackable. (I.e 1)
(4) Make VIM better at editing Ruby code then Emacs. (I love VIM; but almost
tempted to switch.)

As far as I know it is already possible to use Ruby (and also at least
Python and (Mz)Scheme) language for writing Vim plugins.
rubycomplete.vim from http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org/ utilizes this
feature.

I do not know how far the current integration with Ruby goes, but may be
it's usable enough (for e.g. writing ruby-debug-vim extension). If not I
think that all the effort should be put into polishing the current
integration - writing Vim plugins in Ruby (and/or other languages in
General). Perfect Vim-Ruby integration would solve all problems you
mentioned, I believe.

Rewriting whole Vim into Ruby seems to be overkill to me. Probably
impossible task :) On the other hand there are some clones written from
scratch, like viPlugin for Eclipse, jVi (NB plugin utilizes that AFAIK).
I've spend some time on Eclipse plugin in the past and it was fun and
there are a lot of Rubyists who could join something like Ruvi. So might
be it's not that crazy idea :) Actually I should probably try the Ruvi
(Activity Percentile: 83.31%)
(3) Easier to integrate with ruby-debug / irb

If you would start this let me know. That was actually one of the goal
of debug-commons project (http://debug-commons.rubyforge.org/) - or
rather my secret wish... only if I have more time.

Vim forever! ;)

m.