scroll bar not working in IE7

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

moe said:
Hi, my scroll bar stopped working on my website with IE7, firefox
works fine. The middle mouse button will scroll the page in IE7.
Any ideas? website www.ramboblueberries.com

Gosh. I'm not sure where to start. Perhaps it has something to do with
all that JavaScript.. there appears to be a browser-sniffer in there.

You could start here, I suppose:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.ramboblueberries.com/>
This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!
Result: Failed validation, 74 Errors

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...arning=2&uri=http://www.ramboblueberries.com/>
One CSS error, many warnings.

Is this a new site? New pages should be Strict, not Transitional.

Read this as well:
http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

Sorry, I don't have Internet Explorer to test with.

moe

Gosh, what a mess I suppose. I will go through and look everything
you suggested. I was thinking it was something to do with javascript
myself, but was not sure. What is strict verses transitional, new
standards?

Thanks for your advice.
Rene

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard said:
Gosh. I'm not sure where to start. Perhaps it has something to do with
all that JavaScript.. there appears to be a browser-sniffer in there.

My money on the JavaScript with the onmousemove trap. Of course when is see

function ddN4(whatDog){
if (!isN4) return;
N4=eval(whatDog);
N4.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN|Event.MOUSEUP);
N4.onmousedown=function(e){
N4.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEMOVE);
N4x=e.x;
N4y=e.y;
}
N4.onmousemove=function(e){
if (isHot){
N4.moveBy(e.x-N4x,e.y-N4y);
return false;
N4.onmouseup=function(){
N4.releaseEvents(Event.MOUSEMOVE);

it tells a lot...

You could start here, I suppose:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.ramboblueberries.com/>
This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!
Result: Failed validation, 74 Errors

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...arning=2&uri=http://www.ramboblueberries.com/>
One CSS error, many warnings.

Of course all these errors don't help. To OP dump the "dd" JavaScript
and I bet your scrollbar will function.

moe

Hi, I pulled out the below script and it seems not to help. I added
this layer page for updated news to catch the viewer eye. Was not
sure what to use and wanted to get around the popup blockers. If I
remember the IE7 scroll bar with mouse pointer stopped working after I
added it, I am not 100% sure. I should probably go pull out the layer
and see if it works? I added to many changes at that time. Most of
the time I use the wheel scroll to nav, over looked it.

Thanks
Rene

Jonathan said:
My money on the JavaScript with the onmousemove trap. Of course when
is see

function ddN4(whatDog){
if (!isN4) return;

N4 (Netscape 4) is sooo last century, isn't it?

Moe asked:
What is strict verses transitional, new standards?

New about .. ten years ago?

Transitional is for updating legacy pages when you don't have the time
to completely separate presentation from content.
Strict is used for new work, where all the presentation is done with
CSS, and there is no old, for example, <font> type code mixed in with
the content.

You have some bits in there... <p align="center" class="style11">
where the center should be in the CSS class.

You also didn't assign a background color to body, so I see my default
purple.

I take it you are using some sort of WYSIWYG generator. Most of these do
a poor job of producing modern code.

And please take the time to read the fontsize page I posted, as your
content is too small for me to read. Using 100% for content font size
guarantees all visitors will view in their chosen size.

Jonathan N. Little

moe said:
Hi, I pulled out the below script and it seems not to help. I added
this layer page for updated news to catch the viewer eye. Was not
sure what to use and wanted to get around the popup blockers. If I
remember the IE7 scroll bar with mouse pointer stopped working after I
added it, I am not 100% sure. I should probably go pull out the layer
and see if it works? I added to many changes at that time. Most of
the time I use the wheel scroll to nav, over looked it.

Because you did not pull the initializing part that hooks the
onmousemove. I just listed the part that showed how really ancient the
script was and that modern browsers would not be effected (snicker,
snicker, yeah even IE7 is still an old browser in a new pretty skin IMO)
Go in an disable "Active Scripting" and your scrollbar will work.

Now for a more permanent fix, the part that initializes the function is

function ddInit(e){
topDog=isIE ? "BODY" : "HTML";
whichDog=isIE ? document.all.theLayer :
document.getElementById("theLayer");
hotDog=isIE ? event.srcElement : e.target;
while (hotDog.id!="titleBar"&&hotDog.tagName!=topDog){
hotDog=isIE ? hotDog.parentElement : hotDog.parentNode;
}
if (hotDog.id=="titleBar"){
offsetx=isIE ? event.clientX : e.clientX;
offsety=isIE ? event.clientY : e.clientY;
nowX=parseInt(whichDog.style.left);
nowY=parseInt(whichDog.style.top);
ddEnabled=true;
document.onmousemove=dd;

But don't just remove that, remove it all from the

<script language="JavaScript1.2">

to the

</script>

moe

Thanks for your advice, I use DW mx and notepad. I am curious to what
you are using to view the pages with, OS and browser? I know this
does not meet markup validation, not that I am not trying not too,
lack of experence. That is why is the page mixed with css and
undesirable script, mistake by my part, I do not do this everyday. I
will address the background and take a look at the font size command
soon, thanks for pointing that out.

Now back to my original question, of why the scroll bar in IE7 does
not work with left click mouse button, only mouse wheel, Firefox it
works fine?

Regards,
Rene

moe

Hi, take it all out, ugg ? :(.. what can be used to advertise, to my
viewers/customers (something that is easy to find) that popup blockers
will not block (a method would be layering?) to let them know of
current news dates, etc?

thanks for your help
Rene

moe

I removed the script to script to test and left the script for the
ilayer in the page. The IE7 did start scrolling with the left click
mouse button:) The layer still shows, but the close button does not
work. Is it possible to close the layer and use it w/o the script I
removed. I could clean up the ilayer and add a close function? I got
the script from codelifter dot com, talked to the guy about my
mysterious issues and he said it was another error in my other
javascript, imagine that, I wonder if he had written it now.

I was trying to correct the validation error "cursor:hand", tried
"auto" and something else, those did not work. Also, was getting
error with the "height=36" and "ilayer".

Anyhow.. below is the code for the layer..

thanks,
Rene

<!-- BEGIN FLOATING LAYER CODE //-->
150px;visibility:visible">
cellpadding="5">
height="36">
<ilayer width="100%" onSelectStart="return false">
<layer width="100%" onMouseover="isHot=true;if (isN4)
ddN4(theLayer)" onMouseout="isHot=false">
</layer>
</ilayer>
color="#0000ff" style="text-decoration:none">Close</font></a>
<!-- PLACE YOUR CONTENT HERE //-->
Thank you for visiting <a href="http://
www.ramboblueberries.com">www.ramboblueberries.com</a><br>
We would like to thank everyone for the 2007 season.<br>
Our season normally falls on the months of July-August.<br>
2008 season information will be updated here.<br>
Coming soon, all new recipe area!<br>

See you again in 2008!
<!-- END OF CONTENT AREA //-->

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

moe said:
Thanks for your advice, I use DW mx and notepad. I am curious to what
you are using to view the pages with, OS and browser?

Ubuntu with Firefox, Opera, Konquerer, SeaMonkey ..
I know this does not meet markup validation, not that I am not trying
not too, lack of experence. That is why is the page mixed with css
and undesirable script, mistake by my part, I do not do this
everyday. I will address the background and take a look at the font
size command soon, thanks for pointing that out.

A page mixed with CSS is fine. The scripts are dubious at best, even if
they did work.
Now back to my original question, of why the scroll bar in IE7 does
not work with left click mouse button, only mouse wheel, Firefox it
works fine?

Sorry, using IE7 requires Windows XP and higher, and I do not have such
an operating system here in my office. Yes, Firefox works fine, or as
fine as the page is. It is as scrollable as I expect it to be.

That orange-bordered box has a "Close" link on it, which does not do
anything; hence, the box is always obscuring the content under it. (That
is not the way you want to show content.

"Layers" is a term invented by Netscape in .. oh .. early in the last
millenium, and means nothing these days. What is "<ilayer>" and
"<layer>"? I do not recognize those as valid HTML elements.

Please don't top-post. Thanks.

Jonathan N. Little

moe wrote:

I removed the script to script to test and left the script for the
ilayer in the page. The IE7 did start scrolling with the left click
mouse button:) The layer still shows, but the close button does not
work. Is it possible to close the layer and use it w/o the script I
removed. I could clean up the ilayer and add a close function? I got
the script from codelifter dot com, talked to the guy about my
mysterious issues and he said it was another error in my other
javascript, imagine that, I wonder if he had written it now.

The script is crap. Don't use it. Insert special notice banners into the
document not over top of it with server side, SSI, PHP...

You current solution blocks you page's content with this "popup" that
cannot be removed on modern browsers...very bad.
I was trying to correct the validation error "cursor:hand", tried
Because it is "cursor: pointer", "cursor: hand" was MS's proprietary
property for old IE5...a really dead browser.
"auto" and something else, those did not work.

How about looking it up?

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ui.html#propdef-cursor

Also, was getting
error with the "height=36"

On what? If it is not an image the the element does not have a height
attribute. Ah! It an H1.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#edef-H1

Doesn't have one, use CSS if you which to set this.

and "ilayer".

ILAYER, eh? Do you have a Betamax and HD DVD players too... The 90's
are long gone and so it the ILAYER.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ILAYER&btnG=Google+Search
ILAYER - Google Search

dorayme

moe said:
I removed the script to script

We are up to the 10th post in this thread and I am looking at your site
in Safari and cannot see how to be rid of the pop up box that is
blocking the first picture at the top (which pic is blue I can see
around the edges). The "close" does not work and is very vague about
putting up a hand cursor, it cannot make up its mind.

FYI

John Hosking

Beauregard said:
Ubuntu with Firefox, Opera, Konquerer, SeaMonkey ..

Win XP Pro with IE6/FF/Opera for me, but with similar illegibility.
"Layers" is a term invented by Netscape in .. oh .. early in the last
millenium, and means nothing these days.

Yes, I believe they developed "layers" to format the Magna Carta. LOL!

moe

Jonathan said:
<<<< Please don't top post and do trim your quotes >>>>

Sorry about that.
The script is crap. Don't use it. Insert special notice banners into the
document not over top of it with server side, SSI, PHP...

Thanks, I will look into the server side script, did not know how to
go about doing this.
Because it is "cursor: pointer", "cursor: hand" was MS's proprietary
property for old IE5...a really dead browser.

How about looking it up?

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ui.html#propdef-cursor

Thanks for the advice
On what? If it is not an image the the element does not have a height
attribute. Ah! It an H1.

The height error is part of the ilayer script.

Thanks for your advice.

Rene