scroll position

Guest

Hi all,

I have a long web form on asp.net 2.0. When I go at the bottom and click on
submit, a postback occurs and if there are any validation errors (no
client-side checking being done), the page loads again, but this time the
scroll position is at the bottom. This is annoying, because the actual
validation error messages are on the top and the user cannot see them. Any
ideas? I have turned off maintainscrollbackpositiononpostback in the pages
element in web.config. What am I missing?

TIA!

Andrew Robinson

Do you have the MaintainScrollPositionOnPostback page attribute set in your
page? Check your HTML at the top of the page. Do you have SmartNavigation
on?

-Andrew

Guest

Nopes, nothing set on the top of my page in the page attribute.... i checked
the top of my page..

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Param,

I just perform some tests on my local environment by some simple pages with
long data items and validation controls. Seems the page will maintain
scroll position only when I turn on "maintainScrollPositionOnPostBack"
property. Is the problem only occurs on a particular page on your side or
have you try building a simple page with long list item and validation
control to see whether it also suffers the problem? If convenient, I
suggest you post a simple reproduce page so that we can also perform some
local test on that.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: scroll position
| Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:25:25 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Nopes, nothing set on the top of my page in the page attribute.... i
checked
| the top of my page..
|
| | > Do you have the MaintainScrollPositionOnPostback page attribute set in
| > your page? Check your HTML at the top of the page. Do you have
| > SmartNavigation on?
| >
| > -Andrew

| >> I have a long web form on asp.net 2.0. When I go at the bottom and
click
| >> on submit, a postback occurs and if there are any validation errors
(no
| >> client-side checking being done), the page loads again, but this time
the
| >> scroll position is at the bottom. This is annoying, because the actual
| >> validation error messages are on the top and the user cannot see them.
| >> Any ideas? I have turned off maintainscrollbackpositiononpostback in
the
| >> pages element in web.config. What am I missing?
| >>
| >> TIA!

Guest

Steve, I had set the property to false in the web.config under pages
element. It looks like it doesnt want to obey that setting. I have to
actually set the property on each .aspx page at the top with the page
attribute for it not to do that...

Thanks

Ferret Face

As an alternative to this Autopostback Scroll postion try sticking these
lines just above the </form> tag in your ASPX file:

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
<%-- For Autopostback Autoscrolling feature --%>
location.href='# <%= Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") %>';
//-->
</script>

Or with a slight enhancement:

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
<%-- For Autopostback Autoscrolling feature --%>
<%= IIf(Len(Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET")) > 0,
"location.href='#"& Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") &"';", "") %>
//-->
</script>

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for the followup Param,

I think the problem is possibly project specific. If convenient, you can
also try creating a new web project (make sure simple page with long items
obey the scroll setting ruls in the web.config ) and then copy your pages
there to see whether it works.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: scroll position
| Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:03:38 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Steve, I had set the property to false in the web.config under pages
| element. It looks like it doesnt want to obey that setting. I have to
| actually set the property on each .aspx page at the top with the page
| attribute for it not to do that...
|
| Thanks
|
| | > Hi Param,
| >
| > I just perform some tests on my local environment by some simple pages
| > with
| > long data items and validation controls. Seems the page will maintain
| > scroll position only when I turn on "maintainScrollPositionOnPostBack"
| > property. Is the problem only occurs on a particular page on your side
or
| > have you try building a simple page with long list item and validation
| > control to see whether it also suffers the problem? If convenient, I
| > suggest you post a simple reproduce page so that we can also perform
some
| > local test on that.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: scroll position
| > | Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:25:25 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Nopes, nothing set on the top of my page in the page attribute.... i
| > checked
| > | the top of my page..
| > |

| > click