scrollbar for tables with foreign language characters

Discussion in 'HTML' started by tm_matty, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. tm_matty

    tm_matty Guest

    In the following simple three column / two row HTML table, when a value
    in the table contains a foreign language character like umlaute (ü),
    the scroll bar will not show. Remove the character and it will show.
    To reproduce, you will need to shrink your browser down to hide some of
    the data.

    Does anyone have an idea why this would happen?

    <HTML><body><form>
    adsf adsf adsf" /></td>
    <input style="width:100%;" value="asdf asdf asdf dsf asdf assdf asfsad
    ZXZXZXZXZXZXü" /></td>
    </form></body></HTML>

    tm_matty, Mar 21, 2006

  2. tm_matty

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, quothed:
    It might be because of all the "3D"s in the code.

    Neredbojias, Mar 21, 2006

  3. I've had something like this, too. This is a IE specific bug. I some cases
    IE calculates the width of the INPUT from the prefilled VALUE. I think the
    CSS attribute 'width' with '100%' or 'auto' causes this bug.

    I have no fix for this at hand - the webapp that has this problem uses
    TEXTAREAs (for different reasons) when the text get longer than X
    characters, so the bug is not triggered anymore.

    Benjamin Niemann, Mar 21, 2006