Search for file

jodleren

Hi

Does anyone have any idea how I can do a fast search for a file on
server.

Say, abc.def on \\server\someplace\

I made ascript which uses about 6 minutes for 2200 folders, ~3GB.
Windows does that in ~10 sec.

How can I do that search a lot faster?

Sonnich

jodleren

Hi

Does anyone have any idea how I can do a fast search for a file on
server.

Say, abc.def on \\server\someplace\

I made  ascript which uses about 6 minutes for 2200 folders, ~3GB.
Windows does that in ~10 sec.

How can I do that search a lot faster?

Sonnich

I found the IXSSO, searched for some examples, found none that worked.
Any links please?

Sonnich

Dan

jodleren said:
Hi

Does anyone have any idea how I can do a fast search for a file on
server.

Say, abc.def on \\server\someplace\

I made ascript which uses about 6 minutes for 2200 folders, ~3GB.
Windows does that in ~10 sec.

How can I do that search a lot faster?

Sonnich

Windows uses the Win32 API functions. You would need to write a COM DLL to
do the searching and call that from your ASP page. There are plenty of
examples, search for Google for the FindFile API call.

How are you searching at the moment?

jodleren

How are you searching at the moment?

this way

dim folderlist()
set fso2 = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

iListPos=0
redim preserve folderlist(iListPos+1)
folderlist(iListPos)=QDisk

iCurrentPos=0
response.write "list<br>"
do while iCurrentPos<=iListPos
Set f = fso2.GetFolder(folderlist(iCurrentPos))
set ff = f.files
For Each fname in ff
if InStr(lcase(fname), item) then
response.write "--Found: " & fname & "<br>"
response.flush()
end if
next
set ff=nothing
Set ff = f.SubFolders
For Each fname in ff
iListPos=iListPos+1
redim preserve folderlist(iListPos+1)
folderlist(iListPos)=fname & "\"

if InStr(lcase(fname), item) then
response.write "--Found: " & fname & "<br>"
response.flush()
end if

next
iCurrentPos=iCurrentPos+1

loop
response.write iListPos & " folders tested"

jodleren

I've never needed to do this so all I can offer is this:http://www.google..com/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=IXSSO+-.Net&aq=f&aqi...

Tried this, thanks
I got something to work, but new questions.
I searches in the files, not the file names :)

Half way there, but still... I tried www.alltheweb.com for searching,
(dont like google), but actually there is not much about IXSSO out
there....

I am looking for "lost" drawing numbers on a FTP disk - which is a
server \\server\ftpfolder which also is not accepted by the IXSSO

Sonnich

Dan

jodleren said:
this way

dim folderlist()
set fso2 = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

<code snipped>

Right, so you're using the FileSystemObject. I noticed your reply about
IXSSO (by the way, I'd suggest if you want to find additional help with this
that you at least consider using Google, you might not like it but it's a
good way to find far more than ATW indexes), it will work with a network
share if the server on which the share is located has the indexing service
running.

Other than that, all I can suggest is that you use the FindFile API and
create your own COM DLL. There is sample code here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185476

although you'll need to strip it down a bit.

I have a small app that uses the FindFile API to search the image folders
that are shared by all the web sites I run, and it will rattle through
almost 3 million files spread across almost 100,000 folders in less than a
minute (actual file size is irrelevant as for a simple search on filename
the APIs will simply use the MFT), but if you feel the need to draw a
comparison this is 55.6GB of data).