searching for franken

Frank

Now you will need neither m//m nor m//s...

Tonight's reading in the camel book might be the best place to start with
regex's. It's chapter 5, and the camel book prefers to call the topic
"patterns."

So \ | ( ) [ { ^ $ * + ? . are the miscreants.

Not also ] / } /?

Pattern modifiers is where you get traction on this.

pg 147 :

The m//,s///, and qr// operators all accept the following modifers after
their final delimiter:

/i
/s
/m
/x
/o

# end excerpt

There's a lot of ways to get the m's and the s's backwards there.
m//m modifies the meaning of the "^" and "$" anchors. It is useless
on patterns that do not make use of those anchors.

Let ^ and $ match next imbedded \n.
m//s modifies the meaning of ".". It is useless on patterns that
do not make use of the dot metacharacter (like in the amended
pattern above).

Let . match newline and ignore $* .
Getting this deep into a thread before the subject of the article
correlates with the Subject of the article is plain silly.

Please exercise more care in choosing the contents of your Subject header.

I didn't know the url existed before yesterday. I disagree with your
opinion about the subject, and, as OP, think myself relevant.

Any ideas why this sig goes wild?
--
Frank

The biases the media has are much bigger than conservative or liberal.
They're about getting ratings, about making money, about doing stories that
are easy to cover.
~~ Al Franken,
%
[G. W. Bush's] pro-air pollution Clear Skies Initiative is designed to
clear the skies of birds.
~~ Al Franken,
%
And just like in 1984, where the enemy is switched from Eurasia to
Eastasia, Bush switched our enemy from al Qaeda to Iraq. Bush's War on
Terror is a war against whomever Bush wants to be at war with.
~~ Al Franken,
%
Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they
are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless
it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.
~~ Al Franken,
%
In many ways I'm still a Hubert Humphrey Democrat -- someone who believes
in afflicting the comfortable and comforting the afflicted. A society is
judged by how it treats the elderly, the sick, the impoverished. To me it's
a matter of ethics and compassion.
~~ Al Franken, Playboy interview
%
When you encounter seemingly good advice that contradicts other seemingly
good advice, ignore them both.
~~ Al Franken,
%
And by the way, a few months ago, I trademarked the word 'funny.' So when
Fox calls me 'unfunny,' they're violating my trademark. I am seriously
considering a countersuit.
~~ Al Franken, in response to Fox's copyright infringement lawsuit
%
The irony upon irony of this lawsuit was great. First, Fox having the
trademark 'fair and balanced' -- a network which is anything but fair and
balanced. Then there's the irony of a news organization trying to suppress
free speech.
~~ Al Franken, CNN interview
%
[Roger Ailes, Fox News Founder, Chairman and CEO, and former
Nixon-Reagan-Bush strategist, is] a cynical Republican ideologue with no
regard for fairness and balance.
~~ Al Franken,
%
I once asked the most fabulous couple I know, Madonna and Guy Ritchie, how
they kept things fresh despite having been married for almost seven months.
'It's a job, Al,' Guy told me. 'We work at it every day.'
~~ Al Franken,
%
A brief digression on whether that suspicious-looking mole is actually
cancer. ... Take this simple test called the ABC test. 'A' is for age. What
is your age? Is it over thirteen? If so, it's cancer. That's how the ABC
test works.
~~ Al Franken,
%
[Newt Gingrich] is the most unpopular politician in America. His favorable
rating is only four points higher than the Unabomber.
~~ Al Franken, 1996
%
I said that Sean Hannity took residence up Newt Gingrich's butt from 94 to
98. I got that from British intelligence. It turns out he only took up
residence in 95.
~~ Al Franken
%
I do personal attacks only on people who specialize in personal attacks..
~~ Al Franken, Playboy interview
%
There's no liberal echo chamber in this country. There's a right-wing echo
chamber. I want to create a countervailing echo chamber.
~~ Al Franken, Chicago Tribune interview, on
%
I think some people hold [G.W.Bush] in high esteem because they watch Fox.
And they get their news from Rush Limbaugh. And they are fooled.
~~ Al Franken, in response to the 2004 SOTU address
%
No Child Left Behind is the most ironically named act, piece of legislation
since the 1942 Japanese Family Leave Act.
~~ Al Franken, in response to the 2004 SOTU address
%
I think if you're going to do a movie about Reagan you do it about the fact
that he created the huge deficit, that he armed the mujahadeen, that he
armed Saddam, that he armed Iran, he armed 2/3s of the Axis of Evil, he
funded terrorists in Central America, he was in my mind a terrible
president.
~~ Al Franken, Book TV, on CBS's Reagan movie
%
During the Reagan Administration, Bob Dole was present at a ceremony that
included each living ex-president. Looking at a tableau of Ford, Carter and
Nixon, Dole said, 'There they are: Hear No Evil, See No Evil and Evil.'
~~ Al Franken,
%
If you put the two Bushs together in their over seven years of their two
presidencies, not one new job has been created. Numbers do not lie. If you
extrapolated from that, if the Bushs had run this country from its very
beginning to the current time, not one American would have ever worked.
We'd be hunter-gatherers.
~~ Al Franken, in response to the 2004 SOTU address
%
Most of us here in the media are what I call infotainers...Rush Limbaugh is
what I call a disinfotainer. He entertains by spreading disinformation.
~~ Al Franken
%
Drug war, well, as Rush Limbaugh said, anyone who uses drugs illegally
should be prosecuted and put away. I don't agree with him; I think they
should be treated, but that's what Rush believes and so, you know, we're
praying for Rush because he's in recovery and you take responsibilities for
your actions so I'm sure any day now Rush will demand to be put away for
the maximum sentence and ask for the most dangerous prison and we'll be
praying for maybe an African American cellmate who saw the Donovan McNabb
comments on ESPN. So we're prayin'.
~~ Al Franken, Book TV, on Rush Limbaugh's illegal drug arrest and racist
remarks
%
If [Stuart Saves His Family] had actually been successful it would have
been a lot better teacher for me than the failure that it was, because it
would have given me the opportunity to do more movies,
~~ Al Franken, CNN interview
%
It's the Power of the Almighty, the Splendor of Nature, and then you.
~~ Al Franken
%
A concussion.
~~ Al Franken, Playboy interview, when asked what it would take for his
name to appear on the masthead of National Review or The Weekly Standard.
%
Oh, What Doesn't Kill You Can Have Lingering Aftereffects!
~~ Al Franken,
%
That's just stinkin' thinkin!
~~ Al Franken,
%
Listen to me. I'm should-ing all over myself.
~~ Al Franken
%
Whining is anger through a small opening.
~~ Al Franken
%
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.
~~ Al Franken
%
I'm going to die homeless, penniless, and 30 pounds overweight.
~~ Al Franken
%
It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the whole world.
~~ Al Franken
%
I would never ordinally say this, but... is there any way you can get to a
pound cake?
~~ Al Franken
%
I'm a perfectionist and if I start making changes, I'll never stop.
~~ Al Franken
%
My father grew up in the Great Depression - his mother's.
~~ Al Franken
%
....it's obviously how his disease manifests itself, any kind of substance
dependency is very deep, issues of self esteem, you can just tell that he's
a really insecure and vulnerable person -- and I love him. You know,
sometimes I listen to him on the radio, and he's very judgmental, he's a
very angry person, and I just want to remind him that anytime you have a
finger pointing at someone else, there's three pointing back at you.
~~ Al Franken
%

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

Tad J McClellan

Frank said:
Tonight's reading in the camel book might be the best place to start with
regex's. It's chapter 5, and the camel book prefers to call the topic
"patterns."

Probably because they no longer meet the definition of being "regular".

So \ | ( ) [ { ^ $ * + ? . are the miscreants.

Not also ] / } /?

] and } don't become meta until they appear after their
corresponding opening char.

I am always thrilled whenever I need to match square bracket chars
because then I can write:

/[][]/; # which are meta and which are literal?

slash is not special in patterns, though it is often
special with the pattern match *operator*.

You can choose to use some delimiter other than /, then that
other character becomes meta (to the operator, not to patterns).

/\/etc\/passwd/; # leaning toothpick syndrome

can also be written:

m#/etc/passwd#;

to keep your eyes from crossing...

I don't know what you mean by the fourth one, "/?"...

Pattern modifiers is where you get traction on this.

pg 147 :

The m//,s///, and qr// operators all accept the following modifers after
their final delimiter:

/i
/s
/m
/x
/o

Wa' happened to /g ?

I like to use Damian Conway's mnemonic: gym sox (gim sox).

Let ^ and $ match next imbedded \n.

No, that is not correct.

Anchors are "zero width", they do not match _any_ characters (they
match positions instead).

^ and $ normally mean "match at begining/end of string".

with m//m, ^ and $ mean "match at begining/end of line".

I didn't know the url existed before yesterday. I disagree with your
opinion about the subject,

Then what did "franken" mean when you wrote it?

and, as OP, think myself relevant.

You are not the OP.

You are Frank.

The OP was George.

Jürgen Exner

Tad J McClellan said:
Then what did "franken" mean when you wrote it?

Some possibilities:
- the former currency of France, Belgium, Luxembourg, ... (in German)
- the currency of Switzerland (in German)
- the northern part of Bavaria
- the inhabitants of said part of Bavaria
- the people of the Carolingian Empire (called Fränkisches Reich in
German, most famous ruler Carolus Magnus)
- the duchy of Franken
- ....

jue

George

My copy of perlrun says that perl.exe does exactly that: it reads
the shebang line and redispatches to the path stated there (unless
the word "perl" occurs on that line).

When Perl was young, this was useful on Unix versions that didn't
support shebang; these days it is perhaps useful on Windows.

Hope this helps,

-- HansM

But it can hurt.

If you do -w
and
use warnings;
, you have trouble.

Windows has no trouble located perl.exe. It's a very simple situation,
with target and platform the same, 1 machine, and one operator.
--
George

America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear
evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof, the smoking gun that
could come in the form of a mushroom cloud.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

George

Some possibilities:
- the former currency of France, Belgium, Luxembourg, ... (in German)
- the currency of Switzerland (in German)
- the northern part of Bavaria
- the inhabitants of said part of Bavaria
- the people of the Carolingian Empire (called Fränkisches Reich in
German, most famous ruler Carolus Magnus)
- the duchy of Franken
- ....

jue

You're from right around there, maybe a scoch north. Because you've
written so much on usenet and our experience overlaps somewhat, I seem to
have read quite a bit about you including sailing in the first appropriate
body of water north of Franken.

They wouldn't let us go near the water, but one fine night in Hamburg,
Mister Minit took us to a sub sunk in the Nordsee.

The crescent moon rests above Venus. 3.3 hands right on the ecliptic is
Jupiter, and Mercury rides 2 fingers to his left and parallel on the
horizon. It may have been the prettiest day all year, and it is the last.

Tomorrow, Mercury will rise above Jupiter.
--
George

I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but for
predecessors as well.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

sln

But it can hurt.

If you do -w
and
use warnings;
, you have trouble.

Windows has no trouble located perl.exe. It's a very simple situation,
with target and platform the same, 1 machine, and one operator.

Stop the bullshit. You got nothing but shit for brains.

sln

George

Stop the bullshit. You got nothing but shit for brains.

sln

Stop de onzin. Je hebt alleen maar troep voor hersenen.

Wenn snacken du willst, snacken ik kann.
--
George

America is a Nation with a mission - and that mission comes from our most
basic beliefs. We have no desire to dominate, no ambitions of empire. Our
aim is a democratic peace - a peace founded upon the dignity and rights of
every man and woman.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

George

sorry for

providing BS explanations. Seems like I'm getting old
and/or suffer from missing opportunities to practice
Perl Regex enough (as compared to Boost and PHP).

Thanks for your initial correction,

Mirco

You might note that the camel text prefers to define the area as pattern
matching.

It's been fun doing the web scrape for Minnesota's next junior senator.

[minnesota stuff] ... and Carl, who knew I needed you at home? A happy
new year to you and your sexy bride.
--
George

The terrorists and their supporters declared war on the United States - and
war is what they got.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/