Searching Stings with Arrays?

Phil Cooperking

Hi, I've been having a little problem with this. most of my ruby is from
rails and both are shaky.

okay what I've got is a string (which is a browser user agent) and I
would like to search that string with a predefined array of browsers.
I've done this in php so I'm positve an easy solution exists in Ruby

this is what I got
@string = "mozilla/5.0 (macintosh; u; ppc mac os x; en)
applewebkit/418.9.1 (khtml, like gecko) safari/419.3"

array = ["shiira", "msie", "safari", "firefox", "netscape"]

so I'd like to search the string for any matches, it should stop at
safari and bob's sombodys uncle.

this is what I've been trying to do.
array.find {|b| b == @string}.to_s

this does't work I know, but I'm I in the right direction?

dblack

Hi --

Hi, I've been having a little problem with this. most of my ruby is from
rails and both are shaky.

okay what I've got is a string (which is a browser user agent) and I
would like to search that string with a predefined array of browsers.
I've done this in php so I'm positve an easy solution exists in Ruby

this is what I got
@string = "mozilla/5.0 (macintosh; u; ppc mac os x; en)
applewebkit/418.9.1 (khtml, like gecko) safari/419.3"

array = ["shiira", "msie", "safari", "firefox", "netscape"]

so I'd like to search the string for any matches, it should stop at
safari and bob's sombodys uncle.

this is what I've been trying to do.
array.find {|b| b == @string}.to_s

this does't work I know, but I'm I in the right direction?

You could use:

@string.include?(b)

or, if you want to be more careful about false positives (like, if
"msie" was a substring in some other browser's string), you could do:

array.find {|b| @string[/#{b}/] }

which anchors to word boundaries. (All untested, so check for typos
and/or logic errors :)

David

--
Q. What's a good holiday present for the serious Rails developer?
aka The Ruby book for Rails developers!

Martin DeMello

this is what I got
@string = "mozilla/5.0 (macintosh; u; ppc mac os x; en)
applewebkit/418.9.1 (khtml, like gecko) safari/419.3"

array = ["shiira", "msie", "safari", "firefox", "netscape"]

so I'd like to search the string for any matches, it should stop at
safari and bob's sombodys uncle.

array.find {|b| @string =~ /#{b}/}

Iterates over each entry of the array, makes a regexp of it (the
/#{b}/ bit) and matches that against the string. (Ideally, you want
@string =~ Regexp.escape(b), but with the strings you have it comes to
the same thing.)

martin

jeffz_2002

You'll probably have 10 (better) answers for this by the time I've
posted, but here's mine:

a = "something is here"
b = [ 'x', 'y', 'g', 'q', 'z' ]
b.find { |c| Regexp.new( c ).match( a ) } => "g"

The regexp.new creates a new regex (surprise) like /c/, and then
searches for it in the string a. If it's not found, match returns nil,
which is false, so find continues. If it's found, match is an object,
which is true, so find exits with that item from the array.
this is what I've been trying to do.
array.find {|b| b == @string}.to_s
this does't work I know, but I'm I in the right direction?

The find is on the right track, but what you're saying is that the
array item must match the full string ... which, based on your problem
description, is incorrect.

jz

William James

Hi --

[...]

Are you sure?

array.find{|s| @string[/\b#{s}\b/] }

Tom Werner

Phil said:
Hi, I've been having a little problem with this. most of my ruby is from
rails and both are shaky.

okay what I've got is a string (which is a browser user agent) and I
would like to search that string with a predefined array of browsers.
I've done this in php so I'm positve an easy solution exists in Ruby

this is what I got
@string = "mozilla/5.0 (macintosh; u; ppc mac os x; en)
applewebkit/418.9.1 (khtml, like gecko) safari/419.3"

array = ["shiira", "msie", "safari", "firefox", "netscape"]

so I'd like to search the string for any matches, it should stop at
safari and bob's sombodys uncle.

this is what I've been trying to do.
array.find {|b| b == @string}.to_s

this does't work I know, but I'm I in the right direction?

This might get you started off on the right path:

m, agent = *@string.match(/(shiira|msie|safari|firefox|netscape)/)
p agent

outputs

safari

If you need further clarification of this code, just let me know.

Tom Werner

William James

William said:
Hi --

[...]

We don't need no stinkin' loops:

p @string.split(/\W/) & array

dblack

Hi --

Hi --

[...]

Thanks. I had this weird feeling something was wrong when I sent that
message.... I think the 'b' variable name fooled me :)

David

--

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Phil Cooperking wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's why I changed it to "s".

dblack

Hi --

array.find{|s| @string[/\b#{s}\b/] }

We don't need no stinkin' loops:

p @string.split(/\W/) & array

To each his own :) I like the loop -- though I'm not sure why I used
[] instead of just matching. I think I somehow had map on the brain.

David

--

Tom said:
This might get you started off on the right path:

m, agent = *@string.match(/(shiira|msie|safari|firefox|netscape)/)
p agent

outputs

safari

If you need further clarification of this code, just let me know.

Tom Werner

can I tag a regex on to this to pull the version of the browser? I
understand I might have to to break this down as some useragents are
differently setup.

William James

Phil said:
can I tag a regex on to this to pull the version of the browser? I
understand I might have to to break this down as some useragents are
differently setup.

@string = "mozilla/5.0 (macintosh; u; ppc mac os x; en)
applewebkit/418.9.1 (khtml, like gecko) safari/419.3"

array = ["shiira", "msie", "safari", "firefox", "netscape"]

@string =~ %r{(#{ array.map{|s| Regexp.escape(s)}.join('|')})/(\S+)}
p $1,$2

browser,version = @string.match(
%r{(#{ array.map{|s| Regexp.escape(s)}.join('|')})/(\S+)}).
captures
p browser,version