secure a folder

Fastau B

Hi Buddies!
I have an app where the client logs in using Forms Authentication. I'm not
using the Profile, so I am not using the SQL2005 database for that.

I have a "Users" class.

Based on that, what's the best way to ensure that the user gets to a certain
folder and no other folder?
thanks

Fastau B

Hey I wondered if there is an issue with anyone answering my question
becuase I am a minority?

Why can't I get an answer?

MikeS

The majority of people find in the documentation that when using
ASP.NET 2.0 one can use the membership provider and the role provider
patterns to accomplish what you seek. I am not sure what Profile has to
do with your request.

If you are not using a database you can use XML and the
ReadOnlyXmlMembershipProvider for your members.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/ASPNETProvMod_Prt1.asp

There is a also ReadOnlyXmlRoleProvider mentioned there.

Perhaps you can draw from those examples to determine how to tie in
your Users class.

After you validate a user using membership and forms authentication,
you allow and deny them access to folders based on their user names
and/or based on their roles using the authorization element in the
system.web section of web.config or in a location section.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...s/cpgenref/html/gngrfauthorizationsection.asp

AFAIK, If you don't want to go the provider route then you can look
into handling credential validation yourself and also handle the
applications authenticate event to create and populate your own
Principal and Identity and still benefit from the authorization tag
feature.