    thedarkman Guest

  2. thedarkman

    Ray_Net Guest

    Ray_Net, May 1, 2014

  3. Yabutt. I wouldn't use IE anyway; unless someone started pulling
    my fingernails out. Hell, I don't use _any_ MS product here.....
    For once the gov'mint issues some sound advice.

    Allodoxaphobia, May 2, 2014
  4. thedarkman

    Ray_Net Guest

    I am using SeaMonkey for my browser BUT sometimes a site cannot be used with this
    browser, so i am very happy to use IE11 ...

    Ray_Net, May 2, 2014
  5. I keep hearing of these "magical" sites but have not encountered one in
    nearly 10 years...and those where just poorly done hacks using the
    uber-web-development-tool MS Publishers. I stop IE use after a few
    months with IE4. And no IE on my other systems running Ubuntu.

    Jonathan N. Little, May 2, 2014
  6. thedarkman

    Ray_Net Guest

    I am not so lucky.
    Not all those bad sites uses MS publishers.

    And, when i contact the webmaster he say:
    "I don't care; Use IE !".

    Ray_Net, May 2, 2014
  7. I don't return...that fixes the problem. So will others. Not the best
    business plan...look at the "fan mail" that Intuit gets on their support
    forums when their *web apps* needlessly block access from Linux. Proven
    to be bogus with a useragent change.

    Jonathan N. Little, May 3, 2014
  8. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    I am not so lucky.[/QUOTE]

    Show details of your bad luck.

    dorayme, May 3, 2014
  9. Show details of your bad luck.[/QUOTE]

    I found one of these sites once. It was configured to deliver broken css
    to non msie user agents. This was in the late 90s.

    So I told netscape to pretend it was msie and the page rendered fine.

    Denis McMahon, May 3, 2014
  10. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    I must say, I can't recall a case of being unable to see a site,
    however crummy, somehow without IE. But I believe you.

    dorayme, May 3, 2014
  11. thedarkman

    Neil Gould Guest

    If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to no
    difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE, the business
    would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful sites function with
    the browsers and devices that represent the largest market share.

    Neil Gould, May 3, 2014
  12. You can certainly guaranty your metric with a policy of exclusion.

    Jonathan N. Little, May 3, 2014
  13. As I said, I've only found one such site since I started using browsers
    in late 94, and that had been (mis?) configured to send broken css to non
    msie browsers.

    And the site worked perfectly on netscape navigator if you sent an msie
    user agent string.

    I find it hard to believe that nowadays there are any sites out there
    that will only work with ie and not opera / chrome / firefox / safari
    that haven't been deliberately frigged to be only msie compatible.

    And anyone who thinks that they only need to support one web browser on a
    public site probably needs their head examined anyway.

    Denis McMahon, May 3, 2014
  14. That's probably not msie, and it's probably running on a mobile device.

    And when the largest market share is less than 20% of the total market,
    you have to ask yourself is just supporting the most popular client is
    really a sound strategy.

    Denis McMahon, May 3, 2014
  15. thedarkman

    Ray_Net Guest

    Sorry, but i need this site, so i cannot ignore it.
    IE is THE only solution.

    Ray_Net, May 3, 2014
  16. Which site? So they tell you which OS you must use as well, are they
    getting a kick back from MS? Will they pay your Windows license fee?

    Jonathan N. Little, May 3, 2014
  17. You have heard of smart phones? The number that run Windows is
    irrelevant. Just one metric to consider.

    Jonathan N. Little, May 4, 2014
  18. thedarkman

    Neil Gould Guest

    Please note that my statement uses the plural, "browser*s* and device*s*".
    In that context, if your statement was, "most popular client*s*" instead of
    the singular, I'd say that it's a good strategy.

    Neil Gould, May 4, 2014
  19. thedarkman

    Neil Gould Guest

    Yes, one can often afford to exclude the irrelevant... ;-)

    Neil Gould, May 4, 2014
  20. thedarkman

    se Guest

    Concerning browsers, IE holds about 50%.
    And, this count steadily shrinks. Good reasons for it.
    People have phones and use Safary and Chrome.
    My website stat clearly shows the same falling tendency. Moreover:
    For instance -besides the ongoing zero day exploit -
    IE11 has gone back to disablement . Just discovered this latest browser
    can't handle "background-size". IE9 can do it. All other modern major
    browsers can handle it. Besides this. The world community of xp owners is
    about to discover that their xp machines has been packed with ms virus, that
    is active now past april 8.
    That what happened to my own. They are about to kill
    their xp users, now finished updating xp - no obstacles.

    se, May 4, 2014