Security flaw in Internet Explorer


Ad

Advertisements

A

Allodoxaphobia

(e-mail address removed) says...

Patch released, donwloaded and just installed today.

Yabutt. I wouldn't use IE anyway; unless someone started pulling
my fingernails out. Hell, I don't use _any_ MS product here.....
For once the gov'mint issues some sound advice.
 
R

Ray_Net

Yabutt. I wouldn't use IE anyway; unless someone started pulling
my fingernails out. Hell, I don't use _any_ MS product here.....
For once the gov'mint issues some sound advice.

I am using SeaMonkey for my browser BUT sometimes a site cannot be used with this
browser, so i am very happy to use IE11 ...
 
J

Jonathan N. Little

Ray_Net said:
I am using SeaMonkey for my browser BUT sometimes a site cannot be used with this
browser, so i am very happy to use IE11 ...

I keep hearing of these "magical" sites but have not encountered one in
nearly 10 years...and those where just poorly done hacks using the
uber-web-development-tool MS Publishers. I stop IE use after a few
months with IE4. And no IE on my other systems running Ubuntu.
 
R

Ray_Net

I keep hearing of these "magical" sites but have not encountered one in
nearly 10 years...

I am not so lucky.
and those where just poorly done hacks using the
uber-web-development-tool MS Publishers.

Not all those bad sites uses MS publishers.

And, when i contact the webmaster he say:
"I don't care; Use IE !".
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jonathan N. Little

Ray_Net said:
And, when i contact the webmaster he say:
"I don't care; Use IE !".

I don't return...that fixes the problem. So will others. Not the best
business plan...look at the "fan mail" that Intuit gets on their support
forums when their *web apps* needlessly block access from Linux. Proven
to be bogus with a useragent change.
 
D

Denis McMahon

I am not so lucky.

Show details of your bad luck.[/QUOTE]

I found one of these sites once. It was configured to deliver broken css
to non msie user agents. This was in the late 90s.

So I told netscape to pretend it was msie and the page rendered fine.
 
D

dorayme

Denis McMahon said:
I found one of these sites once. It was configured to deliver broken css
to non msie user agents. This was in the late 90s.

So I told netscape to pretend it was msie and the page rendered fine.

I must say, I can't recall a case of being unable to see a site,
however crummy, somehow without IE. But I believe you.
 
N

Neil Gould

Jonathan said:
I don't return...that fixes the problem. So will others. Not the best
business plan...look at the "fan mail" that Intuit gets on their
support forums when their *web apps* needlessly block access from
Linux. Proven to be bogus with a useragent change.
If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to no
difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE, the business
would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful sites function with
the browsers and devices that represent the largest market share.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jonathan N. Little

Neil said:
If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to no
difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE, the business
would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful sites function with
the browsers and devices that represent the largest market share.

You can certainly guaranty your metric with a policy of exclusion.
 
D

Denis McMahon

I must say, I can't recall a case of being unable to see a site,
however crummy, somehow without IE. But I believe you.

As I said, I've only found one such site since I started using browsers
in late 94, and that had been (mis?) configured to send broken css to non
msie browsers.

And the site worked perfectly on netscape navigator if you sent an msie
user agent string.

I find it hard to believe that nowadays there are any sites out there
that will only work with ie and not opera / chrome / firefox / safari
that haven't been deliberately frigged to be only msie compatible.

And anyone who thinks that they only need to support one web browser on a
public site probably needs their head examined anyway.
 
D

Denis McMahon

If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to no
difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE, the
business would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful sites
function with the browsers and devices that represent the largest market
share.

That's probably not msie, and it's probably running on a mobile device.

And when the largest market share is less than 20% of the total market,
you have to ask yourself is just supporting the most popular client is
really a sound strategy.
 
J

Jonathan N. Little

Ray_Net said:
Sorry, but i need this site, so i cannot ignore it.
IE is THE only solution.

Which site? So they tell you which OS you must use as well, are they
getting a kick back from MS? Will they pay your Windows license fee?
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jonathan N. Little

Neil said:
Yes, one can often afford to exclude the irrelevant... ;-)

You have heard of smart phones? The number that run Windows is
irrelevant. Just one metric to consider.
 
N

Neil Gould

Denis said:
That's probably not msie, and it's probably running on a mobile
device.

And when the largest market share is less than 20% of the total
market, you have to ask yourself is just supporting the most popular
client is really a sound strategy.
Please note that my statement uses the plural, "browser*s* and device*s*".
In that context, if your statement was, "most popular client*s*" instead of
the singular, I'd say that it's a good strategy.
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

se

Neil Gould said:
If every Linux user refused to visit a site, it would make little to no
difference to the business. OTOH, if their site fails with IE, the
business
would feel it. The simple fact is, the most successful sites function with
the browsers and devices that represent the largest market share.

Concerning browsers, IE holds about 50%.
And, this count steadily shrinks. Good reasons for it.
People have phones and use Safary and Chrome.
My website stat clearly shows the same falling tendency. Moreover:
For instance -besides the ongoing zero day exploit -
IE11 has gone back to disablement . Just discovered this latest browser
can't handle "background-size". IE9 can do it. All other modern major
browsers can handle it. Besides this. The world community of xp owners is
about to discover that their xp machines has been packed with ms virus, that
is active now past april 8.
That what happened to my own. They are about to kill
their xp users, now finished updating xp - no obstacles.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top