Serialization or XML-DOM? If XML, which parser?

Tobi Krausl

Hi!

I'm developing an application in which there's the need given to
manage some kind of status-information. Everytime the status changes
the corresponding data-structure containing the status-information
must be updated and stored in a file.

I was thinking of using Serialization and maybe a TreeMap for holding
the status-data. Using this method would allow to save/restore the
TreeMap-object pretty easily, right? However, I'm not sure whether
this is really a good solution.

An alternative to Serialization would in my opinion be to use XML
(preferred DOM). I think that I'll never need some special features
provided by XML in terms of my problem.

So I'm thinking about what kind of persistence- and storage-
mechanisms I should use?! Performance isn't an issue too, so I
wouldn't mind that XML is a little bit slower than Serialization.

What would you use and why?
If you would use XML (DOM), which Parser (Standard API, JDOM, XERCES,
DOM4J) and why?

Thank you very much,
Tobi