Server losing session variables

Wim Geukens

All,

We're experiencing a very strange session variable problem.
We've got a running version of our site at www.mysite.com, which points to
c:\mysite in IIS 5
This same site is also reachable via test.mysite.com, because we specified
it in the "Advanced multiple Web Site configuration" dialog box.
So it's basically the same website.

Now, on our site we have a datagrid with paging enabled.
When, for example, going to page 8, then clicking on an item which opens a
new page and then from within that page returning to the page with the
datagrid (Response.Redirect), it goes back to page 1 instead of page 8.
We're using a Session variable called PageNr to keep track of the page that
the user was on.

The weird thing now is that when we're using the URL test.mysite.com
everything works fine.
When we're using the URL www.mysite.com, the problem appears.

We're using IIS 5, ASP v1.0 on a Windows 2000 Server SP4 with all security
patches installed.

Does anyone have an idea what might cause the problem?

Thanks in advance
Wim

No One

Wim said:
[...]

I am beginning to believe that Microsoft broke sessions in one of their
recent patches. With Win 2003 and IIS6, this problem becomes far worse
as the ViewState gets hosed. Sessions are getting recycled at random
times, no matter what the App Pool settings are.

Another problem ASP.Net has is the garbage collecting of statics, even
when the are still in use. Very annoying.