Server.Transfer and Load Balanced Environments

Chris Bellini

Greetings!

I would like to use Server.Transfer to redirect users to a given page,
while maintaining the state of form fields. This works fine on a single
server.

However, this will be deployed in a load balanced environment. I know
that Session variables and load balanced environments don't mix. Do I
have a cause for concern with Server.Transfer as well?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Anthony Jones

Chris Bellini said:
Greetings!

I would like to use Server.Transfer to redirect users to a given page,
while maintaining the state of form fields. This works fine on a single
server.

However, this will be deployed in a load balanced environment. I know
that Session variables and load balanced environments don't mix. Do I
have a cause for concern with Server.Transfer as well?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Server transfer will not transfer the request to another server even in a
load balanced system.

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

I haven't done extensive testing of this, but I am fairly certain that both
server.transfer and server.execute will stay on the same server. At least
that's the theory ... I'll repeat that I haven't done any thorough testing
of this. As with most things, if you have concerns it shouldn't take much
to set up a test.