Server Unavailable

Matt MacDonald

Hi everybody,
I've got some big problems today. I turned on my web server this morning
and tried to access my site, and I got the following error in my browser:

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.
Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

So I check the event log and there are 2 errors logged there:
aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched because the username and/or password
supplied in the processModel section of the config file are invalid

AND

aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
directory allow access to the configured account.

I looked at a couple dozen web sites trying to figure out what could be
wrong, but none of the solutions offered worked. I've tried reinstalling
ASP.net with and without first deleting the ASPNET user. I've changed the
username and password in the process model section of machine.config to
another local user. I've done pretty much everything anyone can tell me
thus far. The server is not a domain controller. The really weird thing is
that all of this was working fine when I left the office last night, and now
it doesn't work.
Anyone have any ideas? Please help.

Thanks, Matt

Guest

We run into this problem quite a bit. For SOME reason (still not sure why), the following solution works every time:

1.) Go to Control Panel > Admin > Servives
2.) Select the ASPNET State Service
3.) Change the logon to the system account (click apply)
4.) Change the logon back to the ASPNET and clear the password (click apply)

Should be all set from there.