Server Application Unavailable

Mudface

Hi- I'm using SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition on a Windows XP Pro SP2
machine with Visual Studio 2008 Pro SP1 installed. When I try and connect to
Reporting Services, I get the following error in SS 2005-

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------

Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but
expected 'text/xml'.
------------------

Cannot connect to UKORWKSTN68\MSSQLSERVER1.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:The request failed with the error message:
--
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<head>

--. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.RSClient)

------------------------------
BUTTONS:

OK
------------------------------

On checking the event viewer I noticed these two errors-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1084
Date: 28/10/2008
Time: 13:31:46
User: N/A
Computer: UKORWKSTN68
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
directory allow access to the configured account.

and

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1007
Date: 28/10/2008
Time: 13:31:46
User: N/A
Computer: UKORWKSTN68
aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched because the username and/or password
supplied in the processModel section of the config file are invalid.

I looked them up and found it was due to the ASPNET process having
insufficient permissions. I followed the advice given in Q313158 and still
got the same problem. I've tried changing the machine.config file to use
SYSTEM with an autogenerated password and got a similar problem. After a
couple of days of messing about with permissions and configs, I put the
ASPNET user into the administration group on the computer and I'm still
getting the same errors. In IIS, I repeatedly get 'Server Application
Unavailable' both with this and any other asp.net sites I set up. Quite
frankly, I'm at my wits' end here, so if anyone can help, I'd be very
grateful.

For info, my machine.config in the v2.0.50727 folder file looks like-

<processModel userName="ukorwkstn68\aspnet"
password="password"/>

and everything is ticked, present and correct in the Reporting Services
Configuration tool.