Server Application Unavailable

David C

I am trying to setup my aspnet application on a local laptop (Win XP Pro)
and I am getting "Server Application Unavailable" in red when I try to start
my app. I looked in the event log and it says Event ID 1089 "Failed to
execute the request because ASP.NET process identity does not have read
permissions to the global assembly cache...."

Do I need to run regiis_aspnet ..... something to allow this? If so, can
someone give me the syntax? Thanks.

David

Gregory A. Beamer

I am trying to setup my aspnet application on a local laptop (Win XP
Pro) and I am getting "Server Application Unavailable" in red when I
try to start my app. I looked in the event log and it says Event ID
1089 "Failed to execute the request because ASP.NET process identity
does not have read permissions to the global assembly cache...."

Do I need to run regiis_aspnet ..... something to allow this? If so,
can someone give me the syntax? Thanks.

http://bit.ly/1j7ZgO

Peace and Grace,
Greg

--
Vote for Miranda's Christmas Story
http://tinyurl.com/mirandabelieve

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

David C

Gregory A. Beamer said:
http://bit.ly/1j7ZgO

Peace and Grace,
Greg

--
Vote for Miranda's Christmas Story
http://tinyurl.com/mirandabelieve

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Sorry Greg. That article made no sense to me at all. I am not a web
administrator and I am simply trying to run a web application on a local PC
not connected to the internet. Also, one of the links inside the link you
gave me went nowhere. Any other ideas? Thanks.

David

David C

Gregory A. Beamer said:
http://bit.ly/1j7ZgO

Peace and Grace,
Greg

--
Vote for Miranda's Christmas Story
http://tinyurl.com/mirandabelieve

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Greg,
I Googled this and found (I think) a solution. However, now the unavailable
message is gone but now I am getting

"An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path
'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\MCFIOutside\web.config' is denied."

I checked the ACL's and I have every possible username and group with access
to the wwwroot folder and all beneath it. I cannot figure out why access is
denied to that web app folder. The web security is set to both anonymous
and integrated windows authentication. Thanks.

David

Gregory A. Beamer

Sorry Greg. That article made no sense to me at all. I am not a web
administrator and I am simply trying to run a web application on a
local PC not connected to the internet. Also, one of the links inside
the link you gave me went nowhere. Any other ideas? Thanks.

The important part is running aspnet_regiis.exe. I know -i will register
scripts, but the article recommends -u as well.

aspnet_regiis -u
aspnet_regiis -i

NOTE: You have to either use a Visual Studio command prompt or get to
the proper folder in a normal command prompt. Normal command is:

cd %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Assuming .NET 2.0 - 3.5

The other method is giving rights to %WINDIR%/assembly

NOTE: %WINDIR% is normally c:\WINDOWS or c:\WINNT unless someone has a
very customized windows install.

Peace and Grace,

--

Gregory A. Beamer said:
The important part is running aspnet_regiis.exe. I know -i will register
scripts, but the article recommends -u as well.

aspnet_regiis -u
aspnet_regiis -i

NOTE: You have to either use a Visual Studio command prompt or get to
the proper folder in a normal command prompt. Normal command is:

cd %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Assuming .NET 2.0 - 3.5

The other method is giving rights to %WINDIR%/assembly

NOTE: %WINDIR% is normally c:\WINDOWS or c:\WINNT unless someone has a
very customized windows install.

Peace and Grace,

--
Vote for Miranda's Christmas Story
http://tinyurl.com/mirandabelieve

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Greg,
I tried both below, but getting same 401.3 error.
aspnet_regiis -u
aspnet_regiis -i

I cannot set permissions on the C:\windows\assembly directory as it is
flagged as read only. However, I am not getting a ga error so I would think
that is not the problem. Any other ideas? Thanks.

David

David C

Gregory A. Beamer said:
The important part is running aspnet_regiis.exe. I know -i will register
scripts, but the article recommends -u as well.

aspnet_regiis -u
aspnet_regiis -i

NOTE: You have to either use a Visual Studio command prompt or get to
the proper folder in a normal command prompt. Normal command is:

cd %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Assuming .NET 2.0 - 3.5

The other method is giving rights to %WINDIR%/assembly

NOTE: %WINDIR% is normally c:\WINDOWS or c:\WINNT unless someone has a
very customized windows install.

Peace and Grace,

--
Vote for Miranda's Christmas Story
http://tinyurl.com/mirandabelieve

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Would it have anything to do with contents of the web.config file? I think
I am using impersonation in there. I would think that I would get an error
specifying something in web.config though, right?

David

Patrice

Hello,

401.3 seems to be "unauthorized due to ACL on resource". In IIS5 a web
application uses by default the ASPNET account. According to you first post
could it be at c:\windows\assembly access is not allowed to this account ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890960/en-us (troubleshooting ASP.NET using
FileMon) could help if your first check doesn't find anything that would
need to be allowed to the ASPNET account...

(link taken from the more general
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910449/en-us article...)

Gregory A. Beamer

I tried both below, but getting same 401.3 error.
aspnet_regiis -u
aspnet_regiis -i

I cannot set permissions on the C:\windows\assembly directory as it is
flagged as read only. However, I am not getting a ga error so I would
think that is not the problem. Any other ideas? Thanks.

First, I would look at this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907273

It tells how to troubleshoot this error. Once you troubleshoot, you will
have a better shot at determining what the solution is.

Second, you said this was a development box. Are you in the
administrators group on the box, or is this a work machine where you
have restricted rights. If you are not an administrator, there are
certain rights that have to be set. I will have to see if I can find a
document on it. Only a person with admin rights can give you these
rights. Normally, I have always been set up as admin, as it is easier
than taking this trip around the block.

Peace and Grace,
Greg