Serverside javascript and vbscript on same page?

Robert Mark Bram

Hi All!

I have some server side vbscript that I very much want to use in my
serverside javascript. Can I do this?

Specifically, I am attempting to integrate this into my javascript asp
pages:
http://www.freeaspupload.net/freeaspupload/viewsource.asp

I am trying to translate it atm, but it would be nice if I could use it
natively... within my javascript.

Any advice appreciated!

Rob
:)

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

If you really feel that using free ASP-based upload code is going to save
you time and money, and is going to perform as well as a component, then
sure you can. However take care when deciding which order and which tags to
use:

http://www.aspfaq.com/2045

Robert Mark Bram

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for responding!
Thank you very much for the link!
If you really feel that using free ASP-based upload code is going to save
you time and money, and is going to perform as well as a component, then
sure you can.

I must admit to being somewhat of an ingenue in the area of server side
scripting: what do you mean by components?
Does this mean having special DLL's that I can use instead?
Would the use to install something?
Or worse, would the component break if the user turns off ActiveX
capabilities in their browser?

If you still have enough patience to answer another question.. why would
ASP-based upload code be faster and/or cheaper than a component?

Rob
:)

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

I must admit to being somewhat of an ingenue in the area of server side
scripting: what do you mean by components?
Does this mean having special DLL's that I can use instead?
Would the use to install something?
Yes.

Or worse, would the component break if the user turns off ActiveX
capabilities in their browser?

No, it has nothing to do with client-side ActiveX.
If you still have enough patience to answer another question.. why would
ASP-based upload code be faster and/or cheaper than a component?

I believe others have performed extensive testing and for the large majority
of file sizes, the component always outperformed the pure ASP version.

By cheaper, I mean that most components are $100 or less (and often provided
for free by your web host). People are stuck on this idea that cash is
money but time and effort or not. So, if you spend two hours writing your
own upload code, and five hours debugging it, unless you consider your time
relatively worthless, you've spent more than $100. And haven't gained
anything (see note on performance above) except maybe a few more gray hairs.

Evertjan.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 15 aug 2004 in
By cheaper, I mean that most components are $100 or less (and often
provided for free by your web host). People are stuck on this idea
that cash is money but time and effort or not. So, if you spend two
hours writing your own upload code, and five hours debugging it,
unless you consider your time relatively worthless, you've spent more
than $100. And haven't gained anything (see note on performance
above) except maybe a few more gray hairs.

I do disagree on the word 'anything', Aaron:

1
You will have gained important experience by implementing something
yourself. That is even worth far more than paying euro 100 for a tutorial.
[Yes I know Euro>$ nowadays]

2
Procesing performance is only important if you expect heavy use of the
code. Many pages I build are only for my own use, like db look up tables
for my work, even if they are on internet [because I work fom different
places on different networks], or for family use, like a family tree. Euro
100 is a lot of money for such applications.