Servlets or Applets or ...

Don Khan

Hi,

I am relatively new to JAVA but I am trying to build contact management
system which would allow users to create their list of contacts. The contact
data would be in database and security is important issue. I was initially
thinking of using servlets/jsp but than it occurred to me that there might
be other technologies in JAVA which could be better suited to what I need to
accomplish.

The application should allow user to search based on different criteria,
should also provide interface for inputting new contacts. Also it should
allow some level of sharing data in cases it is used on a company level
where many users have common contacts.

If you have a good idea of what technology would work best for my
application please email me justifying your suggestion so that I can
understand where you are coming from.

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Andrew Thompson

I am relatively new ..

Those new to Java are best helped on a different group..
..to JAVA ..

Java (it's a name, not an acronym).
..but I am trying to build contact management
system which would allow users to create their list of contacts. The contact
data would be in database and security is important issue. I was initially
thinking of using servlets/jsp but than it occurred to me that there might
be other technologies in JAVA which could be better suited to what I need to
accomplish.

You might add an Applet/JApplet interface later if you want a
richer UI. OTOH, since it *should* degrade gracefully to HTML
(read JSP/Servlet) for those with no Java on the client, JSP's
would be a good choice.
..If you have a good idea of what technology would work best for my
application please email me justifying your suggestion so that I can
understand where you are coming from.

You seem to be mistaking this discussion forum for a help-line.

Pay me great wads of cash and we can continue this discussion in
email. Alternately, get off your lazy behind and read the group
to which you posted.

HTH