Session counter

Armen Kirakosyan

Hi
I have web site developed and now wanna to check how many people is
connected
In all MS articles written to use
Application_start
Session_start
Session_end
functions in Global.asa
BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
after many tries I see that Session_end almost never fires
after checking many articles I see that MS wrong in its help manuals and
documentation
even in MCSD book .Net web development where they brings that sample!

So who can help me plaese see how can I see how many users connected to my
web

Thanks

Hans Kesting

Armen said:
Hi
I have web site developed and now wanna to check how many people is
connected
In all MS articles written to use
Application_start
Session_start
Session_end
functions in Global.asa
BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
after many tries I see that Session_end almost never fires
after checking many articles I see that MS wrong in its help manuals and
documentation
even in MCSD book .Net web development where they brings that sample!

So who can help me plaese see how can I see how many users connected to my
web

Thanks

When do you expect Session_End to fire? It does NOT fire
when the user "leaves the site" or closes the browser.
It does fire when the user has not done anything on the site
for (default) 20 minutes.
I did see a message somewhere that you need to store something
in the session (have a "real" session) or else it will not fire.

Armen Kirakosyan

Hi
I need to see all active sessions
if someone closes browser in any way , closing, leaving etc.
I wanna know that
Session_start tells me if some one comes in
but I cannot determine if someone leaved it!
Session_end fires after 20 minutes
not good for me :-(

Patrice

HTTP is essentially stateless. Possible options would be :
- when the browser closes call some server side code
- keep track of last request, you can then assume whatever delay you want
for inactive users.

Unless you need something more specific I would starrt by checking
performance counters...

Patrice

Armen Kirakosyan

Very interesting
I thoght that it is common problem of webmasters and develpers to check how
many users online!

There should be nice solvation of the problem.

Patrice

Keep in mind anyway that there's nothing allowing to know the guy just
pointed your browser to your site and then goes to lunch so you'll always
have to take these numbers as an estimation, roughly correct but an
estimation.

You'll see possible options at :
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491

Patrice