sessionState mode="StateServer" vs. "InProc"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by April, Jan 23, 2009.

  1. April

    April Guest

    I have a Windows 2000 Server (SP4) with .NET Framework 1.1 (with hotfixes)
    installed, along with .NET Framework 2

    I have a Delphi .DLL that interfaces with several .aspx files as part of a
    member database. Each .aspx file contains categorized properties about
    members. The first page is named profile1.aspx, the second page
    profile2.aspx and so forth. NEXT and PREVIOUS buttons allow the user to
    move back and forth.

    For some unknown reason, the session state is being lost as the member/user
    clicks the NEXT and PREVIOUS buttons. My web.config file contained the
    following lines:

    <sessionState
    mode="InProc"
    stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
    sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;user id=sa;password="
    cookieless="false"
    timeout="20"
    />

    Out of desperation we changed the mode from "InProc" to "StateServer" and
    then turned ON the "ASP.NET State Service" from within the Services MMC
    snap-in. After making this change, the session state is preserved between
    pages.

    Might anyone know why session state would always be lost as the user moved
    from .aspx to .aspx page with mode="InProc"?

    And 'yes' we do have the Application > App Options > Application
    Configuration > Enable Session State ENABLED within the web site's
    properties within IIS 5 (with session timeout of 20 minutes).

    Thanks.

    April, Jan 23, 2009

  2. Bizarre. The only reason I can think of is that the application is shutting
    down between requests. Check the event logs to see if there is any
    indication of that. I take it you have Application Protection set to High
    (Isolated) for this app. In which case you will have COM+ application in
    Component Services, check this COM+ activation tab to see if anyone has
    fiddled with the idle timeout, ordinarily this will be set to remain running
    when idle but if someone has enabled an agressive idle timeout that could be
    your problem.

    Anthony Jones, Jan 23, 2009

  3. Oops I was thinking I was in a different NG. This advice makes sense still:-
    However this advice applies to ASP not ASP.NET:-
    On IIS5 ASP.NET runs in its own ASPNET_WP.exe process, you need to looking
    for whether that process is being knocked off for some reason between
    requests. IMO, ASP.NET doesn't still well on IIS5.

    Anthony Jones, Jan 23, 2009
  4. April

    April Guest

    Oops I was thinking I was in a different NG. This advice makes sense
    Anthony,

    Thanks, however, what "application" are your referring to? My Delphi DLL,
    or IIS? Both are applications, technically. It's not clear which you are
    referring to.

    Let me also comment that we have tried the DLL/.ASPX files on 2 other W2K
    servers. 1 owned by yours truly, another by a firm across the Pacific.
    Oddly, the very same thing happens on our second server, while on the server
    across the sea, it works perfectly without resorting to turning on the
    ASPNET State Service. Both are running IIS 5.
    And how do I do that?

    Thanks

    April, Jan 23, 2009
  5. April

    April Guest

    The Event logs show nothing relevant.

    April

    April, Jan 23, 2009
  6. Application refers to the fact that the website or a sub folder thereof is
    marked as an application.
    Check process ID of the ASPNET_WP.exe after each request, if it varies then
    the process is bombing out after the first request for some reason.

    Anthony Jones, Jan 24, 2009
  7. April

    April Guest

    Application refers to the fact that the website or a sub folder thereof is
    Anthony,

    I've never heard such a thing. How can a website or a folder be marked as
    an application? This language is foreign to me...i.e, a folder being
    "marked as an application". How does a folder become marked as an
    application, or a web site become an application?
    Could you be more specific as to HOW do I check the process ID. Using what
    tool or method?

    Thanks.

    April

    April, Jan 24, 2009
  8. April

    April Guest

    Could you be more specific as to HOW do I check the process ID. Using
    I suspect you are referring to using Task Manager to check the PID. Problem
    is...the server is remote, and I'm connected via Remote Terminal Services,
    meaning, TM doesn't show the PID for a service that launches on boot up.

    April

    April, Jan 24, 2009
  9. April

    April Guest

    Check process ID of the ASPNET_WP.exe after each request, if it varies
    I have shut down the "ASP.NET State Service", changed its startup state to
    MANUAL. Changed the web.config mode = "InProc". Rebooted the server. I
    installed a process explorer that shows PIDs (even though I am connected
    remotely), ran the .NET apps (login.aspx -> profile1.aspx ) and the PID for
    aspnet_wp.exe is NOT changing. It remains constant after repeated F5
    refreshes. The PID prior to logging in remains the same PID after the user
    clicks NEXT on the profile1.aspx page. Yet the app is not taking the user
    to the 2nd page of the membership profile, but looping back to the login
    window (login.aspx). The only way to get to the 2nd page of the membership
    database (profile2.aspx) is to turn on "ASP.NET State Service" and change
    the web.config mode to "StateServer".

    April

    April, Jan 24, 2009