Setting the value of one cell in QTableWidget fills everything.

Constantly Distracted

I've just started PyQt programming and I've run into this little
problem. When I set the text of one cell in my table, all the other
cells fill with that value.

All I wanted to do was run a loop, printing in each cell the row and
column number.
Here's the code.

------------------------------

from PyQt4 import QtGui,QtCore
import sys

class mywindow(QtGui.QWidget):
def __init__(self,parent=None):
QtGui.QWidget.__init__(self,parent)
self.resize(700,700)
self.mytable=QtGui.QTableWidget(7,6,self)
self.mytable.resize(700,700)

def filltable(self):
items=QtGui.QTableWidgetItem()
for column in range(self.mytable.columnCount()):
for row in range(self.mytable.rowCount()):
items.setText("row: " + str(row) + " column: " +
str(column))
self.mytable.setItem(row,column,items)

app=QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
mainwin=mywindow()
mainwin.filltable()
qb.show()
app.exec_()

Gabriel Genellina

En Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:01:01 -0300, Constantly Distracted
I've just started PyQt programming and I've run into this little
problem. When I set the text of one cell in my table, all the other
cells fill with that value.
def filltable(self):
items=QtGui.QTableWidgetItem()

Here you create a *single* object named item [why not "item" instead?]
for column in range(self.mytable.columnCount()):
for row in range(self.mytable.rowCount()):
items.setText("row: " + str(row) + " column: " +
str(column))
self.mytable.setItem(row,column,items)

Here you set the *same* item all over the table.

Phil Thompson

I've just started PyQt programming and I've run into this little
problem. When I set the text of one cell in my table, all the other
cells fill with that value.

....because you have only created a single QTableWidgetItem instance, rather
than one for each cell.
[...]

Move the creation of the QTableWidgetItem() to the inner loop (and call
it "item" rather than "items").

Phil