Setup webservice will install in companyweb

nano2k

Hi

I'm using VSNET 2003 (with .NET framework 1.1) to develop a
webservice. All went fine, until I needed to create the setup for it.
For that, I have created a new project (File/New/Project, then Setup
and Deployment Projects/Web Setup Project).
I managed to create the setup and all goes fine on non-server systems
(like XP Pro).
On XP Pro systems, the setup creates a virtual directory under Default
Web Site website. All goes perfect, as after installing, I am able to
access the webservice at the following addreses:
- from local machine: http://localhost/mywebservice/service.asmx
- from intranet: http://machine_name/mywebservice/service.asmx
- from internet (when published): http://server_IP_addrress/mywebservice/service.asmx

On Windows 2003 server systems (including SBS 2003), the setup will
always install under companyweb site of the local machine. I am not
willing to publish this site or make some extra configurations on
those systems. I just want the setup to install my webservice under
the same "Default Web Site" website, so I'll be able to access the
webservice the same way I do for XP Pro systems.
If I manually add the webservice under the "Default Web Site" site as
a virtual directory, it works ok.

I mention that the setup doesn't allow me to choose the parent
website.
Should I configure the setup project to instruct it to install the way
I want it? I searched for such configuration options, but no luck.

Any ideea would be of great help.
Thanks.

[...]

Found the answer here:
http://www.groupsrv.com/dotnet/about124804.html
Providing the full URL at install time did the trick. Note, I tested
on a SBS 2003 (SP1).