Sharing session variables between applications

Dooza

Hi there,
Windows 2003, so IIS6. I have a website that has a webshop. It is like
this: www.example.com/shop/ and I created an application for it in IIS.
I now want to expand the shop into other parts of the site, but the
sessions that are used in the application aren't available to other
parts of the site.

Is there a way to get the session variables available to the rest of the
site?

Cheers,

Steve

Bob Barrows

Dooza said:
Hi there,
Windows 2003, so IIS6. I have a website that has a webshop. It is like
this: www.example.com/shop/ and I created an application for it in
IIS. I now want to expand the shop into other parts of the site, but
the sessions that are used in the application aren't available to
other parts of the site.

Is there a way to get the session variables available to the rest of
the site?

Store them in a database instead of in Session

Dooza

Bob said:
Store them in a database instead of in Session

Hi Bob, not something I really want to do, the shopping cart is stored
in the session, and has been working nicely for several years.

My current work around is to remove the application from the folder in
IIS. It was using the default application pool, is this something I
should be worried about? I am guessing not, since the entire site is the
default application using the default pool.

Steve

Bob Barrows

Dooza said:
Hi Bob, not something I really want to do, the shopping cart is stored
in the session, and has been working nicely for several years.
Well, you don't have much choice, b eyond making everthing on the site part
of a single application ..
My current work around is to remove the application from the folder in
IIS. It was using the default application pool, is this something I
should be worried about? I am guessing not, since the entire site is
the default application using the default pool.
Well, it seems you knew the answer after all. :)

Dooza

Bob said:
Well, you don't have much choice, b eyond making everthing on the site part
of a single application ..

Well, it seems you knew the answer after all. :)

I was hoping there would be another solution, but I can live with my
workaround.

Thanks for confirming it for me.

Steve

Dooza

Roberto said:
How about replacing the Session variables with Cookies (or using Cookies
to store the "global" session values you're interested in maintaining
across applications? For example:

Response.Cookies("Settings")("UserName")= Session("UserName")
Response.Cookies("Settings")("FirstName")= Session("FirstName")
Response.Cookies("Settings")("LastName")= Session("LastName")

Hi Roberto, thank you for the suggestion, that would certainly help, I
will consider that.

Regards,

Steve