    performance, or is this only a problem when there are millions of concurrent
    users, like with Facebook? (i.e. I don't have to worry)
    Thanks

    Giles, Nov 15, 2009

  2. Giles

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Of course. Each session consumes some memory ...
    Can't answer that question. We have no idea what type of data is being
    stored (string, numbers, objects ...) or what kind of resources are
    available on your web server.

    Ar you having performance problems? is that why you asked the question?

    Bob Barrows, Nov 15, 2009

  3. Giles

    Giles Guest

    My question is, does having lots of session variables impact site
    Strings, average 10 characters. Server has 2GB of RAM, 2 x 2GHz
    processors.No performance problems yet, but the site is up for redesign, and
    I am wondering if I can increase the use of session variables, or if I
    should use client side cookies to maintain state between pages. I guess I am
    asking whether session variables use just RAM (which I can calculate by
    multiplying), or if they are a significant drain on the processor also? i.e.
    what is best practice?

    Giles, Nov 16, 2009
  4. Giles

    Bob Barrows Guest

    All you can do is test. I've never seen any sort of "best practice" for
    this.

    Microsoft has a stress-testing tool that might prove useful to you. See:
    http://mvolo.com/blogs/serverside/a...mance-and-scalability-test-tool-released.aspx

    Bob Barrows, Nov 16, 2009