Shed Skin Python-to-C++ compiler 0.0.23

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Dufour, Aug 20, 2007.

  1. Mark Dufour

    Mark Dufour Guest

    Hi all,

    I have just released Shed Skin 0.0.23. It doesn't contain the type
    inference scalability improvements I was working on, but it does have
    quite a few bug fixes and minor feature additions. Here's a list of
    changes:

    -support for __iadd__, __imul__ and such (except __ipow__ and __imod__)
    -some overdue set optimizations
    -fix for string formatting problem (%% did not always work)
    -extension module stability fixes
    -fix for particular inheritance problem
    -other minor bugfixes, cleanups, and error messages

    I could really use some systematic help in pushing Shedskin further. Some ideas:

    -send in bug reports - these are extremely valuable and motivating to
    me, yet I don't receive many..
    -find out why test 148 is currently broken under windows
    -add datetime, re or socket support
    -look into supporting custom classes in generated extension modules
    -write a Shedskin tutorial for 'novice' programmers
    -systemically test performance and suggest and work on improvements
    -investigate replacements for std::string and __gnu_cxx::hash_set
    -perform janitorial-type work in ss.py and lib/builtin.?pp
    -support extension modules under OSX (OSX gives me accute mental RSI)
    -add more tests to unit.py

    Thanks,
    Mark Dufour.

    Mark Dufour, Aug 20, 2007

  2. Adding socket support would certainly open the door for many common
    classes applications. If I had my pick, I say, sockets and then re.

    BTW, I gatta say projects like shedskin and pypy are the most exciting
    python projects I'm aware of. Please keep of the good work. I'm so
    excited about the day I can begin using shedskin for the types of
    projects I use python on.

    Greg

    Greg

    Greg Copeland, Aug 21, 2007

  3. One more thing. Please include a link to the current project page
    when you make these postings.

    Greg

    Greg Copeland, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Mark Dufour

    srepmub Guest

    Thanks. Especially sockets should be not too hard to add, but I
    probably won't work on these directly myself. Let me know if you are
    interested.. :)
    I'm practically working alone on Shedskin, so the better bet will be
    PyPy, unless I start getting more help.

    BTW I usually add a link to the homepage, but somehow I forgot this
    time:

    http://mark.dufour.googlepages.com

    Thanks!
    Mark Dufour.

    srepmub, Aug 22, 2007

  5. Mark, I wish I had the time to help with your project. I believe
    PyPy, Shedskin, and pyvm (which might be dead now), are the most
    interesting python projects currently going on. In fact, I would
    place them ahead of python 3000 even.

    Greg

    Greg Copeland, Sep 1, 2007