[ANN] Shed Skin (restricted) Python-to-C++ compiler 0.0.27

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Dufour, Feb 24, 2008.

  1. Mark Dufour

    Mark Dufour Guest

    Hi all,

    I have just released Shed Skin 0.0.27. Thanks in large part to the
    GHOP students, this new release comes with some interesting new
    goodies:

    - support for 're', via libpcre (perl-compatible-regular-expressions)
    - support for 'time' (except for time.strptime under Windows)
    - basic support for 'staticmethod' and 'property'
    - support for 'fnmatch', 'glob' (bootstrapped)
    - improved support for 'os' (POSIX)
    - OSX support again (including extension modules!)
    - many fixes for multi-dir/multi-file projects
    - several builtin optimizations (zip, list(str)..)
    - type model for 'datetime' (no C++ implementation yet)
    - split up compiler core, ss.py, into several files
    - many minor bugfixes

    As for the 4 new modules (re, time, fnmatch, glob), this means Shed
    Skin now supports most of the following modules:

    bisect
    collections
    copy
    fnmatch
    getopt
    glob
    math
    os
    os.path
    random
    re
    string
    sys
    time

    I could still really use some help with implementing/bootstrapping
    implementations for 'datetime' and 'socket', and further improving
    'os' (especially under Windows).

    Note that since the previous release we have a nice tutorial online.
    It explains in detail how to install and use Shed Skin, how to use it
    to build (simple) extension modules and how to combine Shed Skin with
    numpy and parallel processing solutions such as Parallel Python.

    Thanks,
    Mark Dufour.

    Mark Dufour, Feb 24, 2008