ANN: Shed Skin 0.0.30,an experimental (restricted-)Python-to-C++ Compiler

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Dufour, Dec 5, 2008.

  1. Mark Dufour

    Mark Dufour Guest

    Hi all,

    I have just released version 0.0.30 of Shed Skin, an experimental
    (restricted) Python-to-C++ compiler.

    Most importantly, this release adds (efficient) support for
    user-defined classes in generated extension modules, which should make
    it much easier to integrate compiled code within larger projects. More
    specifically, compiled classes can now be instantiated on the CPython
    side, and instances can be passed freely between CPython and Shed Skin
    without any conversion taking place. (Instances of builtin classes are
    still (recursively) copied, though, at the moment..)

    Another major improvement was contributed by FFAO: a new 'set'
    implementation, directly based on the CPython code. While I haven't
    tested it on many benchmarks, it is clear that is now much faster, and
    on one benchmark it even outperforms CPython on my system by about
    35%.

    Other notable changes include complex number support, mapping None to
    NULL instead of 0 and printing it as 'None', as well as an important
    type inference fix.

    With support for user-defined classes in extension modules, it looks
    like all the major pieces are now there to do a 0.1 release. The only
    thing I'd really like to do before that, is to improve support for the
    'os' module. Please let me know if you'd like to help out here!
    Hopefully, with many details out of the way, I can have another good
    look at type inference for 0.2..

    Thanks,
    Mark.

    Mark Dufour, Dec 5, 2008