Shed Skin (Python-to-C++ Compiler) 0.0.5.9

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Dufour, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. Mark Dufour

    Mark Dufour Guest

    Hello Python lovers,

    I have just released Shed Skin 0.0.5.9. It's almost where I want it to be
    for 0.0.6. What remains to be coded is some kind of connection to the
    standard library (probably a simple one at first: working only for
    'opaque handlers'). I also want to improve cases where ints and floats
    are mixed, since this is quite common. Some major changes:

    -basic exception handling

    (support for custom ones, and for some builtins such as ValueError,
    KeyError and AssertionError; this will allow for implementation of
    iterator objects later on)

    -some basic inheritance

    (no multiple inheritance yet, or weird stuff; this enabled me to add
    the 340-line pygmy raytracer to the test set. it becomes about 40
    times faster here..)

    -keyword arguments

    (this has not been tested very well yet - let me know about any problems)

    -many missing minor 'set' features, thanks to reports by bearophile

    (it should be practically complete now. the whole set of builtins is
    nearing completion :D time to start optimizing stuff..)

    -many, many bugfixes again, again mostly thanks to bearophile

    I added four new 'big' programs to the test set that (with some minor
    modifications) work now: a tic-tac-toe player for arbitrary size
    boards, a simple genetics algorithm, a linear algebra program and the
    mentioned raytracer. Finally, the README has been improved again,
    though it's still pretty bad.

    After the release of 0.0.6 I plan to create a web site with
    performance comparisons between CPython, Psyco and Shed Skin (perhaps
    even PyPy :p), because quite some interesting
    programs compile now, and Shed Skin is usually a lot faster than
    Psyco, except when Python builtins are the bottleneck. I guess some
    more STL magic is required here..

    Let the small code fragments that fail flowing!
    Mark.

    Mark Dufour, Dec 15, 2005

  2. I've been following this project with great interest. If you don't
    mind me asking, can you please include links, if available, when you
    post updates?

    Great Stuff! Keep in coming!

    Greg

    Greg Copeland, Dec 16, 2005