Shed Skin (Python-to-C++ Compiler) 0.0.5.9

Mark Dufour

Hello Python lovers,

I have just released Shed Skin 0.0.5.9. It's almost where I want it to be
for 0.0.6. What remains to be coded is some kind of connection to the
standard library (probably a simple one at first: working only for
'opaque handlers'). I also want to improve cases where ints and floats
are mixed, since this is quite common. Some major changes:

-basic exception handling

(support for custom ones, and for some builtins such as ValueError,
KeyError and AssertionError; this will allow for implementation of
iterator objects later on)

-some basic inheritance

(no multiple inheritance yet, or weird stuff; this enabled me to add
the 340-line pygmy raytracer to the test set. it becomes about 40
times faster here..)

-keyword arguments

(this has not been tested very well yet - let me know about any problems)

-many missing minor 'set' features, thanks to reports by bearophile

(it should be practically complete now. the whole set of builtins is
nearing completion :D time to start optimizing stuff..)

-many, many bugfixes again, again mostly thanks to bearophile

I added four new 'big' programs to the test set that (with some minor
modifications) work now: a tic-tac-toe player for arbitrary size
boards, a simple genetics algorithm, a linear algebra program and the
mentioned raytracer. Finally, the README has been improved again,
though it's still pretty bad.

After the release of 0.0.6 I plan to create a web site with
performance comparisons between CPython, Psyco and Shed Skin (perhaps
even PyPy :p), because quite some interesting
programs compile now, and Shed Skin is usually a lot faster than
Psyco, except when Python builtins are the bottleneck. I guess some
more STL magic is required here..

Let the small code fragments that fail flowing!
Mark.

Greg Copeland

I've been following this project with great interest. If you don't
mind me asking, can you please include links, if available, when you
post updates?

Great Stuff! Keep in coming!

Greg