Shed Skin Python-to-C++ Compiler - Summer of Code?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Dufour, May 4, 2006.

  1. Mark Dufour

    Mark Dufour Guest

    Hello all,

    As Bearophile pointed out, I have just released Shed Skin 0.0.8. For
    those of you that do not know Shed Skin, it is an optimizing
    Python-to-C++ compiler, that allows for translation of pure
    (unmodified) Python programs into optimized machine language. The
    speed of generated code is typically 2-40 times, 12 on average, faster
    than when using Psyco, and 2-220 times, 45 on average, than when using
    CPython, for a sizeable set of benchmarks (such as a raytracer, chess
    player, othello player, neural network sim, sat solver, several sudoku
    solvers..) See http://mark.dufour.googlepages.com for a more detailed
    introduction to Shed Skin, its current limitations, and a link to my
    Master's Thesis, which contains more precise results and an
    explanation of how the compiler works.

    Now that I have released a fairly clean and stable (but still very
    much alpha!) version of my compiler, I would like to invite other
    people to join the project. Seeing that the SoC application deadline
    for this year is only in about a week :)P), this would be a nice way
    to help out and get started in SS development. Note that I did a SoC
    project on SS last year, which has improved it tremendously.

    Two important aspects that still need to be investigated are memory
    optimizations (e.g. transforming heap allocation into stack- and
    static preallocation), more efficient string support (rather than
    using the inefficient C++ STL string type) and looking at integration
    with the standard library and calling compiled code from Python. Note
    that especially memory optimizations would also be an interesting
    Master's Thesis topic. Again, see http://mark.dufour.googlepages.com
    for more details about possible ways to help out. Please let me know
    if you are even remotely interested :)

    Otherwise, a simple way to also help out, is to send me bug reports of
    small code fragments that SS does not compile correctly, or you can
    just send me complete programs. Bug reports are always motivating,
    make my work more time-efficient, and are the best way to getting your
    own programs supported.

    Thanks.
    Mark.

    Mark Dufour, May 4, 2006