Shoudln't rails be starting on 127.0.0.1?

laredotornado

Hi,

I just installed the most recent version of ruby and rails on my
Fedora Core 5 Linux system. For some reason, my server isn't
starting, but I noticed one line upon startup:

=> Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000

Shouldn't rails be booting on 127.0.0.1 or localhost or whatever? I
didn't read anything about adjusting this setting on the rails
download page, but you guys are the experts, so please tell me if this
setting needs to change and how to do it.

Best, - Dave

Ben Bleything

=> Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000

Shouldn't rails be booting on 127.0.0.1 or localhost or whatever? I
didn't read anything about adjusting this setting on the rails
download page, but you guys are the experts, so please tell me if this
setting needs to change and how to do it.

Shouldn't matter. 0.0.0.0 means "I'm listening to everything regardless
of what IP address it comes to"... more or less. If you can't access
your server, my guess is something else is broken.

That said, I think it's possible to specify the IP address it should
listen to, but you'll need to look elsewhere to figure out how... I jsut
don't remember. script/server --help?

Ben

Bil Kleb

Ben said:
Shouldn't matter. 0.0.0.0 means "I'm listening to everything regardless
of what IP address it comes to"... more or less. If you can't access
your server, my guess is something else is broken.

See also the footnote on page 34 of Agile Web Development with Rails.

Regards,