    What's the difference? Can XHTML sites be read by wireless browsers
    like Blackberry while XHTML mobile is only for older WAP phones?

    Thanks!

    chronos3d, Dec 4, 2006

  2. chronos3d

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Well convert it back to HTML 4.01 Strict, like you should have used in
    the first place! Or at least convert it back to XHTML 1.0 Strict
    Appendix C
    "An option for" suggests that you're using some idiot-tool to make this
    site (which you didn't tell us the URL for) rather than understanding
    what you're doing.
    That's the point these days - you'll never know. So don't assume and
    don't serve mobile-specific formats unless you _know_ you're serving to
    a mobile device (i.e. you're working with a mobile networks'
    walled-garden servers)

    If you're publishing to the public web, just do good-quality valid work
    in HTML 4.01 Strict and let the network handle any transcoding needed.
    Obviously this means a good fluid design too, not <table>s and pixels.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 4, 2006

  3. how does one code for mobiles? i hope thats not a stupid question but i have
    a feeling it might be.

    a human person, Dec 4, 2006
  4. chronos3d

    CptDondo Guest

    Google for WML

    --Yan

    CptDondo, Dec 4, 2006
  5. chronos3d

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Same as coding for desktops, only more carefully. If you have a good
    fluid design (length units in ems, think about how it resizes for small
    windows, make sure it's usable without scrolling far down) then it
    "just works".

    You don't need to use the moble flavours of XHTML because the network
    will transcode to those if it has to and thankfully WAP and WML are
    just a bad memory.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 4, 2006
  6. ahhh very good sir. thankyou.

    a human person, Dec 4, 2006
  7. chronos3d

    chronos3d Guest

    In Dreamweaver there's an option to convert pages to variants of HTML
    or XHTML. Should you have DW, go to FILE then CONVERT.

    chronos3d, Dec 5, 2006
  8. chronos3d

    the red dot Guest

    erk sadly or luckily i dont use dreamweaver. thanks anyway.

    the red dot, Dec 5, 2006
  9. chronos3d

    kdarling Guest

    WAP 1.0 had transcoders, but XHTML-MP (Mobile Profile) is used in
    devices that connect directly to the internet. For example, a lot of
    Verizon cell phones use the Openwave 6.2 browser. If you want to see
    how your site looks on one of those devices, download the simulator at:

    http://developer.openwave.com/dvl/tools_and_sdk/phone_simulator/index.htm

    Also go to the link at right for Phone Simulator Documentation, and get
    the XHTML-MP and CSS Reference under the Development Guides section.
    One big site design note: this browser does't support any scripting
    yet.

    There's also a free standalone Windows Mobile simulator, but I don't
    have the link offhand.

    Usually people don't design their pages to work on both powerful and
    limited devices at the same time. Instead they will redirect limited
    devices to another version of their site.

    Regards, Kevin

    kdarling, Dec 5, 2006
  10. chronos3d

    Andy Dingley Guest

    This starts to get awfully network-dependent (still, although less than
    it used to be) but the networks that support "free range" web access to
    http://*.internet:80 in general still have some level of proxying or
    transcoding in situ. For one thing, they'll resize images. They may
    pass HTML-like content through if it looks acceptable, but for most of
    it (how else are you going to browse the general web?) it'll transcode
    from tag soup into XHTML-MP first

    XHTML-MP is an important issue if you're dealing with networks or
    handsets, but you don't need to code in it for a public site and it
    will still get mobile access from many devices and networks.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 5, 2006