how to dynamically create forms in xhtml with javascript?

Eric Sessoms

I am trying to create forms on the fly in strict xhtml using
javascript. I won't bore you with why, but I should mention that I'm
only interested in the very latest versions of Mozilla based browsers.

The basic problem is that the forms do not display. I've included a
minimal sample below that illustrates this. It validates, I get no
javascript errors at run time, and most disconcerting of all is that
the DOM tree looks right after the page has loaded... but still
nothing.

Help!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<head>
<title>Test Page</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
<![CDATA[
function init() {
var input = document.createElement('input');
document.getElementsByTagName('p').item(0).appendChild(input);
}
]]>
</script>
</head>
<form id="form" action="">
</form>

Martin Honnen

Eric said:
I am trying to create forms on the fly in strict xhtml using
javascript. I won't bore you with why, but I should mention that I'm
only interested in the very latest versions of Mozilla based browsers.

How do you serve the document to Mozilla, as text/html, or as
application/xhtml+xml, or as application/xml or as text/xml?
var input = document.createElement('input');

You could try with
var input =
document.createElementNS(
'http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml',
'input'
);
instead. That should fix it if you serve as application/xml or text/xml
which might be the problem.

Eric Sessoms

Damn, you're good. And fast. Yes, I was serving it as text/xml and
your suggestion fixed the problem. Thanks very much!