Should I use a Role or Personalization

Larry Bud

We have a time and project tracking system. In short, only certain
users will be entering time, while everyone has access to the project
listing side of things. I need to make sure those who enter time
actually have entered it for each week... sooo..... how would you
suggest I track who enters time? Should I just create a role, named
"Timesheet users", for example, and place users in there, or should I
create a personalization property named "TimesheetUser" and flag each
user that way?

Does it matter?

Masudur

We have a time and project tracking system. In short, only certain
users will be entering time, while everyone has access to the project
listing side of things. I need to make sure those who enter time
actually have entered it for each week... sooo..... how would you
suggest I track who enters time? Should I just create a role, named
"Timesheet users", for example, and place users in there, or should I
create a personalization property named "TimesheetUser" and flag each
user that way?

Does it matter?

"AspnetRoleProvider is there already ..."
so better use it... just check with
System.Web.Security.Roles.IsUserInRole();
but depending your application design you can also you
personalization....

Peter Bradley

Ysgrifennodd Masudur:
"AspnetRoleProvider is there already ..."
so better use it... just check with
System.Web.Security.Roles.IsUserInRole();
but depending your application design you can also you
personalization....

I agree, although I use attributes rather than code wherever possible.
E.g. (taken at random from what's currently open in Konq file explorer):

[PrincipalPermission(SecurityAction.Demand, Authenticated=true,
Role="admin")]

Peter