simple bar chart module

joe

Hello does anyone know of any simple bar chart module without GD. I
would use GD but it look like I have to compile a few things to get it
working. So i am trying to find something easy like text graph module.
Any ideas?

smallpond

Hello does anyone know of any simple bar chart module without GD. I
would use GD but it look like I have to compile a few things to get it
working. So i am trying to find something easy like text graph module.
Any ideas?

I haven't tried it, but Tk::Graph looks to be pure perl.
--S

Ben Morrow

Quoth smallpond said:
I haven't tried it, but Tk::Graph looks to be pure perl.

Well, yes, but it depends on Tk, which isn't.

To the OP: what do you actually want? As in, what sort of output do you
want? If you want an image, you're unlikely to find a non-XS module that
will help; similarly if you want your program to open a window. If
you're happy with a textual output format like SVG, then there's
SVG::TT::Graph.

Ben

Ted Zlatanov

BM> Well, yes, but it depends on Tk, which isn't.

BM> To the OP: what do you actually want? As in, what sort of output do you
BM> want? If you want an image, you're unlikely to find a non-XS module that
BM> will help; similarly if you want your program to open a window. If
BM> you're happy with a textual output format like SVG, then there's
BM> SVG::TT::Graph.

Google has recently released a Charts API, and there's even a
Google::Chart module on CPAN (although it's not yet fully functional).
So that's a non-XS method that's pretty fast if you can get to the
Google servers and produces nice PNG images...

Ted

Peter Scott

BM> Quoth smallpond <[email protected]>:
BM> To the OP: what do you actually want? As in, what sort of output do you
BM> want? If you want an image, you're unlikely to find a non-XS module that
BM> will help; similarly if you want your program to open a window. If
BM> you're happy with a textual output format like SVG, then there's
BM> SVG::TT::Graph.

Google has recently released a Charts API, and there's even a
Google::Chart module on CPAN (although it's not yet fully functional).
So that's a non-XS method that's pretty fast if you can get to the
Google servers and produces nice PNG images...

And if Flash is okay there is the sexy Open Flash Chart:
http://teethgrinder.co.uk/open-flash-chart/
http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Chart-OFC-0.02/lib/Chart/OFC.pm

Also pure Perl. Unfortunately, it depends on MooseX::Types, which depends
on Class::MOP, which has a small piece of XS. But the OP didn't rule out
compilation altogether, was more objecting to building things outside of
Perl modules.

LemonHall

And if Flash is okay there is the sexy Open Flash Chart:
http://teethgrinder.co.uk/open-flash-chart/
http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Chart-OFC-0.02/lib/Chart/OFC.pm

Also pure Perl. Unfortunately, it depends on MooseX::Types, which depends
on Class::MOP, which has a small piece of XS. But the OP didn't rule out
compilation altogether, was more objecting to building things outside of
Perl modules.

Thanks a lot, "Open Flash Chart", this module can display chinese...I
love it.