Simple information gathering script req..

Mike

I'm after a *simple* script to log each visitor to a website. All
I actually need is the visitor's reported IP address whether
genuine, proxied or hidden. Their reported browser type would be
an advantage, regardless of what browser is actually used.

Anyone know of anything simple and preferably free that will do
this? The site is hosted on a FreeBSD server with access to
CGI-Bin but it does not seem to have a server-side stats log.

I am aware of the value (or not) of any information gathered by
such means, however I still require it. Just something to log the
information presented by each visit please.

Many thanks and regards,
Mike.

King of Red Lions

Mike said:
I'm after a *simple* script to log each visitor to a website. All
I actually need is the visitor's reported IP address whether
genuine, proxied or hidden. Their reported browser type would be
an advantage, regardless of what browser is actually used.

Anyone know of anything simple and preferably free that will do
this? The site is hosted on a FreeBSD server with access to
CGI-Bin but it does not seem to have a server-side stats log.

I am aware of the value (or not) of any information gathered by
such means, however I still require it. Just something to log the
information presented by each visit please.

Many thanks and regards,
Mike.

http://www.alt-php-faq.org/local/24/

King of Red Lions

Mike said:
Seen and answered, hope you approve (sic).

I'll play your fucking stupid game, go on then, what is the
accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?

Now you've gone and hurt poor ol' brucie's feelings, his games aren't
stupid. Rules boy, learn them and obey!

King of Red Lions

Mike said:
Hmm.. Not sure if that's what I'm after, although the problem
might just be me being all newbie and thick. I'll have a read and
thanks anyway.

Mike.

Hmm, don't know exactly what you're looking for then. It sounds like
you need store each users details (in this case their ip) and put into a
table or something, that would be the best way. If not have troll round
http://www.hotscripts.com and see if you can find what you are looking
for there. This really is the wrong newsgroup to be asking, try
learning a bit of php, having a search around before you ask. Oh, and I
wouldn't provoke brucie right now, he's going through one of his
unstable moments, unless of course you want to find him at your door at
2 in the morning with a large axe and some very threatening words!

Mike

King of Red Lions said:
Mike wrote:
Hmm, don't know exactly what you're looking for then. It sounds like
you need store each users details (in this case their ip) and put into a
table or something, that would be the best way.

Basically (and with the benefit of hindsight), I guess I'm after
something to provide me with the sort of decent stats you would
find on a good webhost. Even the ones on the free hosting at
www.portland.co.uk were good enough, but where I have this
particular site hosted I only get a simple graph showing overall
traffic in percentage terms.
If not have troll round
http://www.hotscripts.com and see if you can find what you are looking
for there.
Cheers.

This really is the wrong newsgroup to be asking,

I'm always happy to accept reasonable, non-offensive and
construictive criticism. Even pointers to the right groups will
be noted. :)
try
learning a bit of php,

I've never quite understood how one can learn a "bit of"
something as in-depth as a programming language.
having a search around before you ask.

Did that, found nothing suitable.Tried these...

http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/
http://www.phpscriptsearch.com/c131639ed4ccad28976d6a15a69adeb5/index.html
http://web-bureau.com/modules/free-php-hit-counter-script.php
http://www.cookiecentral.com/ among others.
Oh, and I
wouldn't provoke brucie right now, he's going through one of his
unstable moments, unless of course you want to find him at your door at
2 in the morning with a large axe and some very threatening words!

lol.. don't be silly.

Mike

King of Red Lions said:
Now you've gone and hurt poor ol' brucie's feelings, his games aren't
stupid. Rules boy, learn them and obey!

With respect.. Go look in the uk group and watch the twit in
action.

If there is anything I utterly despise in life, it is people who
read into something and find what isn't there purley based on
their own fuckwitted assumptions.

I asked for a script solution, *not* advice on it's usefulness.

Karl Core

Mike said:
Seen and answered, hope you approve (sic).

I'll play your fucking stupid game, go on then, what is the
accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?

Well, if you weren't such a dumbass, you'd have clicked on the link that
Brucie so kindly supplied to you and you'd have gotten the answer to that
question.

Here's a hint - if you're asking people for help, don't treat them like an
asshole and expect to get kindness in return. Remember, it is *you* who've
come here for help, not the other way around.

Mike

Karl Core said:
Well, if you weren't such a dumbass, you'd have clicked on the link that
Brucie so kindly supplied to you and you'd have gotten the answer to that
question.

Are you serious? You are serious aren't you! rofl.
Here's a hint - if you're asking people for help, don't treat them like an
asshole

Bzzzzt americanism detected.. can't translate.. abort.. bzzzzt!

Ahh.. That's why you didn't understand my other post, irony is
lost on you lot isn't it.

Here's a hint: I have received other quite reasonable responses
to which I have replied with similar reasonableness and offered
my gratitude to. Now go ask yourself why you think I would
respond differently to our "brucie".

When you get stuck (as you inevitably will), click this;
<[email protected]> and this;
<[email protected]>

hth.

Disco Octopus

Mike typed:
I'm after a *simple* script to log each visitor to a website. All
I actually need is the visitor's reported IP address whether
genuine, proxied or hidden. Their reported browser type would be
an advantage, regardless of what browser is actually used.

Anyone know of anything simple and preferably free that will do
this? The site is hosted on a FreeBSD server with access to
CGI-Bin but it does not seem to have a server-side stats log.

I am aware of the value (or not) of any information gathered by
such means, however I still require it. Just something to log the
information presented by each visit please.

Many thanks and regards,
Mike.

maybe you can make something of this.... do you have access to php?

place it in a standard included header file or somthing...

<?php
$logFile = "log.txt";
$logRec = "REMOTE_ADDR=". $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] . ",
HTTP_USER_AGENT=" . $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"];
$logRec .= "\n";
$logFP = fopen ($logFile, 'a');
fputs ($logFP, $logRec);
fclose($logFP);
?>

Mike

added
Disco Octopus said:
Mike typed:
maybe you can make something of this.... do you have access to php?

Yes, the site is hosted in a *nix environment so I assume it will
work.
place it in a standard included header file or somthing...

<?php
$logFile = "log.txt";
$logRec = "REMOTE_ADDR=". $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] . ",
HTTP_USER_AGENT=" . $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"];
$logRec .= "\n";
$logFP = fopen ($logFile, 'a');
fputs ($logFP, $logRec);
fclose($logFP);
?>

That is excellent and it worked!!! Thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you, thank you, thank you.. etc.

It would be better if it worked in a html page mind. As I
understand it, google prefers .html pages for indexing, so this
can't be used in the home page.

But thank you, it is certainly good enough. :)

Regards,
Mike.

Geoff Berrow

That is excellent and it worked!!! Thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you, thank you, thank you.. etc.

And you think that $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] is giving you the IP of the
person accessing your page huh?

Ah well, as long as you're happy.

Mike

Geoff Berrow said:
That is excellent and it worked!!! Thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you, thank you, thank you.. etc.

And you think that $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] is giving you the IP of the
person accessing your page huh?

No.. The actuall IP is not important, just as long as I get stats
that show an IP for each visit.

Is is *impossible* to guarantee the ID of visitors to a website.
Imagine if everyone visited via aol.com, guardster.com,
anonymiser.com or any one of the more dubious offerings from
places like stayinvisible.com.. Such stats would be useless if
relied upon for actual identification.

However, many people do not know of such facilities, or even why
they might use them, and so some stats will give an indication of
where *some* traffic originates.

This is all I am after:

1.) How much traffic.
2.) Where does it claim to originate
3.) What is the claimed browser (not essential).

All I need is the numbers, I have said this repeatedly.
Ah well, as long as you're happy.

It's a start.

King of Red Lions

Mike said:
Are you serious? You are serious aren't you! rofl.

Bzzzzt americanism detected.. can't translate.. abort.. bzzzzt!

Ahh.. That's why you didn't understand my other post, irony is
lost on you lot isn't it.

Here's a hint: I have received other quite reasonable responses
to which I have replied with similar reasonableness and offered
my gratitude to. Now go ask yourself why you think I would
respond differently to our "brucie".

When you get stuck (as you inevitably will), click this;
<[email protected]> and this;
<[email protected]>

hth.

Hey, I'm not american and irony isn't wasted on me... but it would seem
that reasonable advice is totally wasted on you!

King of Red Lions

Mike said:
[...]

Try something like statcounter.com gives you stats of your sites
including ip adresses and browser types.

Mike

Hey, I'm not american and irony isn't wasted on me... but it would seem
that reasonable advice is totally wasted on you!

I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to "Karl".

Your replies have been quite reasonable, so what's up?

Mike

King of Red Lions said:
Try something like statcounter.com gives you stats of your sites
including ip adresses and browser types.

Looks perfect.. I'll give it a try and report back.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Mike.

Matt Bradley

Geoff said:
I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from Mike
contained the following:

That is excellent and it worked!!! Thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you, thank you, thank you.. etc.

And you think that $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] is giving you the IP of the
person accessing your page huh?

<http://www.phpfreaks.com/phpref/52.php>

Whether this is a person or a bot, whether that person is using a proxy,
or whatever, is another matter. But, yes, $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] will
give you the IP address of the requesting client.