simple quest.on XML and RSS

Dariusz Tomon

Hi

I'm just writing specification for developers who will build my company's
website. Apart from all business logic, databases, newsletters, e-mail,
discussion group, chat etc. I would like to use some new technology. I
thought about XML exchanging between us and another content provider.
The question is Am I right thinking like this:
A provider build an information service and share it as RSS. On my server
there is a process (a small program) which on-line (or periodically) check
if something changed at the provider's RSS and if YES it retrieves this RSS,
parses and load to my database and my client browsing my pages gets news
from my database. Of course this RSS could be password secured or public -
it depends.
If I'm wrong please correct me or maybe propose some much more flexible
solution.

Best Regards

Darek

David Dorward

Dariusz said:
A provider build an information service and share it as RSS. On my server
there is a process (a small program) which on-line (or periodically) check
if something changed at the provider's RSS and if YES it retrieves this
RSS, parses and load to my database and my client browsing my pages gets
news from my database. Of course this RSS could be password secured or
public - it depends.

Yes, that's a reasonable (and fairly common) approach.