Simple table question purplexing experienced HTML person

endlesstide

Ok, I basically want this table configuration

How would I keep the static content pushed as much as it's possible to
the left, given the data in the first TD will flow. Best regards, Dave

Jukka K. Korpela

Ok, I basically want this table configuration

No, you want to achieve a particular layout. You are just assuming that a
table is the way to do that,
How would I keep the static content pushed as much as it's possible to
the left, given the data in the first TD will flow.

The question doesn't make much sense, really. Do you mean that the width of
the first cell should equal the width of the longest word in it, or would it
also be permissible to split words across several lines.

Try explaining the material you really have.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, (e-mail address removed) declaimed:
Ok, I basically want this table configuration

How would I keep the static content pushed as much as it's possible to
the left, given the data in the first TD will flow. Best regards, Dave

Don't use tables. Use 3 divs, 2 inner, one outer, and float the inner ones
left.

JDS

Ok, I basically want this table configuration

I'll concur with the others and say "you want that *LAYOUT*
configuration", not "table". You won't get too many people advocating the
use of tables these days. Well, not for layout. And not in this
newsgroup.

In any case, do this: create an image of what you are talking about. In
photoshop, or MS Paint, even. Draw a couple of boxes and indicate, "text
here", "left justified here", that sort of thing. Then post the pic to
the web somwhere and post the URL to the pic here. Then we can help you
figure out what you want.

a picture is worth a thousand hens in the bush, and all that.

dorayme

To further the education of mankind, (e-mail address removed) declaimed:

Don't use tables. Use 3 divs, 2 inner, one outer, and float the inner ones
left.

Why parrot religious lines so quickly, you don't even know he is
not wanting to lay out tabular information.

dorayme

Ok, I basically want this table configuration

How would I keep the static content pushed as much as it's possible to
the left, given the data in the first TD will flow.

Depending on what you mean:

1. By not doing anything to upset the left default behaviour of
content hugging left of cells.

2. By limiting the width of the variable content cell so that the
text (I assume text) wraps.

3. By - if it is meaningful, though unlikely you would not have
thought of this - putting the "static content cell" to the left
of the variable one.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
Why parrot religious lines so quickly, you don't even know he is
not wanting to lay out tabular information.

Because I'm fast, babe. Awwwck, amen.

dorayme

To further the education of mankind, dorayme

Because I'm fast, babe. Awwwck, amen.

Could you please remove that x-face, it looks too respectable and
we all know you are most certainly not this.

O... but Boji, you will be so one day soon, trust me. Officer
White can have that effect on reprobates...

:)

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
Could you please remove that x-face, it looks too respectable and
we all know you are most certainly not this.

Whaddya mean too respectable?! ...And I am so respectable! I don't
pick my nose in public and always use a spitoon if one is available.
O... but Boji, you will be so one day soon, trust me.

Trusting women gets men into trouble Look what happened in the Garden
of Eden, and we're still paying for it.
Officer
White can have that effect on reprobates...

:)

Officer White
Will run in fright
When Nered shows
His fightin' might.

I can't be a reprobate; I was never a probate.