site check - please!

Tom

Hi guys
If you have a spare moment can you pass a cursory eye over the following web
site and let me know if you find any issues. www.broadcast.ie
There are a couple of validation issues that need to be sorted so please
ignore them - they are mostly minor.
I am mostly interested in how the site performs on different browsers and
platforms - preferably macs and older browsers!
I have found one problem with the top navigation in Opera which I have been
unable to fix to date. If anyone has any thoughts on that I would be
grateful.
Thanks a lot!

rf

Tom said:
Hi guys
If you have a spare moment can you pass a cursory eye over the following web
site and let me know if you find any issues. www.broadcast.ie

With the lack of contrast somebody is very soon going to make the font
larger so they can read it. This is what happens (right side of the shot)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/learn.jpg

In addition, the horizontal positioning is screwed up with Mozilla and a
window size < 800. There is content to the left of the canvas that can not
be scrolled to.

Why is it fixed width anyway?

Cheers
Richard.

Tom

With the lack of contrast somebody is very soon going to make the font
larger so they can read it. This is what happens (right side of the shot)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/learn.jpg

In addition, the horizontal positioning is screwed up with Mozilla and a
window size < 800. There is content to the left of the canvas that can not
be scrolled to.

Why is it fixed width anyway?

Thanks for the comments Richard
The issue with the font on the home page was raised by the client as well
and has now been sorted.

Allis

Tom said:
Hi guys
If you have a spare moment can you pass a cursory eye over the following web
site and let me know if you find any issues.

Thanks a lot!

Looks nice. Decent navigation.
Could be grammaticaly more in tune with your audience.
Not sure.
http://tinyurl.com/3e442

Dave Patton

Tom said:
Hi guys
If you have a spare moment can you pass a cursory eye over the
following web site and let me know if you find any issues.
www.broadcast.ie There are a couple of validation issues that need to
be sorted so please ignore them - they are mostly minor.
I am mostly interested in how the site performs on different browsers
and platforms - preferably macs and older browsers!
I have found one problem with the top navigation in Opera which I have
been unable to fix to date. If anyone has any thoughts on that I would
be grateful.
Thanks a lot!

Home(index.html) page should not link to itself(in upper right corner).

Poor design choice - site navigation is next to useless
when the page is loaded with images disabled.

The "bar" at the top of the viewport, above the site
navigation choices, seems to be to not be needed.
It gives the impression that there is something "above",
that is being cut off.

Craven

Dave Patton said:
Home(index.html) page should not link to itself(in upper right corner).

Poor design choice - site navigation is next to useless
when the page is loaded with images disabled.

The "bar" at the top of the viewport, above the site
navigation choices, seems to be to not be needed.
It gives the impression that there is something "above",
that is being cut off.

And, not very good for people with visual disabilities. Suggest that you use
an alt tag on all links and graphics et al.
--
Regards,
Chris

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://uk.geocities.com/cravenbirds/

Checked by the Norton auto-updated anti-virus system.

Neal

Hi guys
If you have a spare moment can you pass a cursory eye over the following
web
site and let me know if you find any issues. www.broadcast.ie
There are a couple of validation issues that need to be sorted so please
ignore them - they are mostly minor.
I am mostly interested in how the site performs on different browsers and
platforms - preferably macs and older browsers!
I have found one problem with the top navigation in Opera which I have
been
unable to fix to date. If anyone has any thoughts on that I would be
grateful.
Thanks a lot!

1) Why use XHTML when you serve it as HTML? Better to just use HTML
4.01... unless you have an excellent reason to do otherwise.
2) How about, instead of <div id="logo">, using <h1 id="logo"> and making
that an h1 on the page? Make the alt text exactly the same text as the
image.
3) In general, if you have to use images as text, have the alt text be the
same exact text as the image.
class that will clear only, assign it to the div with id mainimg, and
eliminate an unnecessary div.
5) Do not use br unless it's absolutely necessary.
6) Do use p markup on all actual paragraphs. And only on actual paragraphs.
7) Fixed width is unnecessary. Allow things to flex to the actual viewport
size.

I suggest re-thinking the whole markup. Start with the assumption that
there are no images, no scripts, no CSS, no nothing except semantic HTML.
Then add CSS (divs only where needed), images (remember, images as text
cannot be resized easily in many browsers, so avoid this if possible) and
Javascript (assume it is turned off, allow it to enhance but not be
required).

You'll find that if you approach web design from a more semantic
viewpoint, the result is more portability among browsers and other UAs, as
well as better Google friendliness.

jake

Tom <[email protected]> said:
Hi guys
If you have a spare moment can you pass a cursory eye over the following web
site and let me know if you find any issues. www.broadcast.ie
There are a couple of validation issues that need to be sorted so please
ignore them - they are mostly minor.
I am mostly interested in how the site performs on different browsers and
platforms - preferably macs and older browsers!
I have found one problem with the top navigation in Opera which I have been
unable to fix to date. If anyone has any thoughts on that I would be
grateful.
Thanks a lot!

....... what everyone else says, plus ...........

(a) Ensure that any process requiring javascript has an alternative
non-javascript equivalent

(b) Don't pop up a new window without a warning

(c) When providing a graphic of a diagram (e.g. Project management),
ensure that there is an accessible description of it.
e.g. via 'longdesc', 'd-link', or description on the same page

(d) Consider setting alt="" on those images not contributing to the
understanding of the page
e.g. 'level 2 image' 'signpost'
If you think they are significant, then provide meaningful descriptions
in the alternative text.

(e) Ensure that all links make sense when taken out of context
e.g. '>>' 'find out more >>' 'more'

(f) For all pages, disable any page link that points to itself.

(g) Go through your mark-up and ensure that all headings are marked-up
(<H1>,<H2>,<H3>, etc.) as well as styled.

regards

Saint Firk

Way down deep in the middle of the congo, Tom and a hippo took an apricot a
guava and a mango. Stuck it with the others and he danced a dainty tango...
Hi guys
If you have a spare moment can you pass a cursory eye over the following web
site and let me know if you find any issues. www.broadcast.ie
There are a couple of validation issues that need to be sorted so please
ignore them - they are mostly minor.
I am mostly interested in how the site performs on different browsers and
platforms - preferably macs and older browsers!
I have found one problem with the top navigation in Opera which I have been
unable to fix to date. If anyone has any thoughts on that I would be
grateful.
Thanks a lot!

OK here's a few screendumps:

www.oxygenkiosk.net/shite/altwwww

It looks really nice in IE, but so do my some of my worst sites ^_^

I won't repeat what hte others have said, but the code is appauling considering
it comes from a software house. It is not so much bad coding as just very basic
mistakes that we all made at one point.

altamir

Tom said:
Hi guys
If you have a spare moment can you pass a cursory eye over the
following web site and let me know if you find any issues.
www.broadcast.ie There are a couple of validation issues that need to
be sorted so please ignore them - they are mostly minor.
I am mostly interested in how the site performs on different browsers
and platforms - preferably macs and older browsers!
I have found one problem with the top navigation in Opera which I have
been unable to fix to date. If anyone has any thoughts on that I would
be grateful.
Thanks a lot!

Look nice, but there are some issues in IE5.0 (win). Good site should look
good also in IE5.x browsers, and it's possible to achieve. If you don't
have IE5.x go to http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads/ and get standalone
Internet Explorer.

Tom

It looks really nice in IE, but so do my some of my worst sites ^_^
I won't repeat what hte others have said, but the code is appauling considering
it comes from a software house. It is not so much bad coding as just very basic
mistakes that we all made at one point.

Thanks for the screenshots and comments Firk. I am aware that there are some
basic errors. This is still draft (even though the client has decided to
publish it...) so am working on fixing them.
I think 'appauling' is a little harsh... perhaps the same could be said for
your spelling! :)

Saint Firk

Way down deep in the middle of the congo, Tom and a hippo took an apricot a
guava and a mango. Stuck it with the others and he danced a dainty tango...
Thanks for the screenshots and comments Firk. I am aware that there are some
basic errors. This is still draft (even though the client has decided to
publish it...) so am working on fixing them.
I think 'appauling' is a little harsh... perhaps the same could be said for
your spelling! :)

And my grammar :eek:P