SiteMap For Google

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    You may not have noticed Google's Beta program to speed up spidering.
    It works by you creating a gZipped XML file and leaving it on your
    website.

    You can read more about it at:
    https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/faq.html

    The XML file catalogs all the files you want google to see on the
    website, and tells in when they were last updated, how frequently they
    are updated, and relatively how important each file is relative to the
    others on your website.

    The idea is Google can then spider your website more efficiently, and
    presumably more frequently.

    I have created a simple Java program to generate the XML file. It
    comes with complete source if you are curious how it works or if you
    want to tinker.

    See http://mindprod.com/products1.html#SITEMAP

    Roedy Green, Jan 6, 2006

  2. I was about to make a content management program in Java. The idea was, I
    would make some templates, and then when I wanted a new page I would simply
    inject it in the navigation hierachy tree, give it a title and then type the
    content, and the html generation and remote updating would be automatic.

    Do you think I could easily integrate this project with this google program
    that you made.

    Luc The Perverse, Jan 6, 2006

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    What you are doing sounds a lot more like my HTMLMacros scheme. I
    generate web pages by embedding macros that are expanded into the
    text. The macros themselves are written in Java so can be quite
    clever. Have a look at my website and look for <!-- macro XXXX and
    <!-- generated>...</generated> to see what sorts of macro can generate
    what sorts of text.

    One of the simplest macros is Include that just includes some text
    from somewhere else.

    Others do the headers and footers which are quite complicated. A
    school is using my header scheme to teach students. I think they
    like the You are HERE trace.

    Roedy Green, Jan 6, 2006

  4. That is exactly what I am doing.

    Historically I wrote a program under linux in C++ which did nothing but
    generate HTML files by glueing together different files. Basically it used
    a recursive algorithm in which it would link in heirarchy to another HTML
    document until it found the head. This worked great as long as I didn't
    want to combine two sections. I couldn't figure out how to upload to FTP
    directly so I called a system command and fed it a text file with all the
    move requests! The only thing that didn't go through that way was the
    password, which was convenient anyway because I didn't want my password
    floating around in a temporary text file! LOL. Ah memories.

    Luc The Perverse, Jan 6, 2006