SiteMap For Google

Roedy Green

You may not have noticed Google's Beta program to speed up spidering.
It works by you creating a gZipped XML file and leaving it on your
website.

You can read more about it at:
https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/faq.html

The XML file catalogs all the files you want google to see on the
website, and tells in when they were last updated, how frequently they
are updated, and relatively how important each file is relative to the
others on your website.

The idea is Google can then spider your website more efficiently, and
presumably more frequently.

I have created a simple Java program to generate the XML file. It
comes with complete source if you are curious how it works or if you
want to tinker.

See http://mindprod.com/products1.html#SITEMAP

Luc The Perverse

Roedy Green said:
You may not have noticed Google's Beta program to speed up spidering.
It works by you creating a gZipped XML file and leaving it on your
website.

You can read more about it at:
https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/faq.html

The XML file catalogs all the files you want google to see on the
website, and tells in when they were last updated, how frequently they
are updated, and relatively how important each file is relative to the
others on your website.

The idea is Google can then spider your website more efficiently, and
presumably more frequently.

I have created a simple Java program to generate the XML file. It
comes with complete source if you are curious how it works or if you
want to tinker.

See http://mindprod.com/products1.html#SITEMAP

I was about to make a content management program in Java. The idea was, I
would make some templates, and then when I wanted a new page I would simply
inject it in the navigation hierachy tree, give it a title and then type the
content, and the html generation and remote updating would be automatic.

Do you think I could easily integrate this project with this google program
that you made.

Roedy Green

I was about to make a content management program in Java. The idea was, I
would make some templates, and then when I wanted a new page I would simply
inject it in the navigation hierachy tree, give it a title and then type the
content, and the html generation and remote updating would be automatic.

Do you think I could easily integrate this project with this google program
that you made.

What you are doing sounds a lot more like my HTMLMacros scheme. I
generate web pages by embedding macros that are expanded into the
text. The macros themselves are written in Java so can be quite
clever. Have a look at my website and look for <!-- macro XXXX and
<!-- generated>...</generated> to see what sorts of macro can generate
what sorts of text.

One of the simplest macros is Include that just includes some text
from somewhere else.

Others do the headers and footers which are quite complicated. A
school is using my header scheme to teach students. I think they
like the You are HERE trace.

Luc The Perverse

Roedy Green said:
What you are doing sounds a lot more like my HTMLMacros scheme. I
generate web pages by embedding macros that are expanded into the
text. The macros themselves are written in Java so can be quite
clever. Have a look at my website and look for <!-- macro XXXX and
<!-- generated>...</generated> to see what sorts of macro can generate
what sorts of text.

One of the simplest macros is Include that just includes some text
from somewhere else.

Others do the headers and footers which are quite complicated. A
school is using my header scheme to teach students. I think they
like the You are HERE trace.

That is exactly what I am doing.

Historically I wrote a program under linux in C++ which did nothing but
generate HTML files by glueing together different files. Basically it used
a recursive algorithm in which it would link in heirarchy to another HTML
document until it found the head. This worked great as long as I didn't
want to combine two sections. I couldn't figure out how to upload to FTP
directly so I called a system command and fed it a text file with all the
move requests! The only thing that didn't go through that way was the
password, which was convenient anyway because I didn't want my password
floating around in a temporary text file! LOL. Ah memories.