SketchUp Ruby API

Rich Morin

I've seen no mention of SketchUp in this forum, so it may
be that many members are unaware of its capabilities and
promise. So, here is a brief rundown.

Google's SketchUp is an intriguing application that makes
it amazingly easy to generate 3D models, render them, etc.
Although it is not Open Source, a "freeware" copy of the
distribution can be downloaded.

SketchUp's Ruby API allows the program to be extended in
various ways: callbacks can be registered, methods can be
overloaded, menu items and tools can be added, etc. In
short, the API seems to have most of the functionality a
developer might need.

Unfortunately, the Ruby API is not "supported", so anyone
investing time on learning it may end up abandoned. Also,
activity on the forum ([email protected]) is
rather low, possibly because most SketchUp users are not
programmers.

I'd love to see an influx of Rubyists into SketchUp; this
could help to convince Google to support the API, as well
as demonstrating its power and utility to the community.

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm Rich Morin
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume (e-mail address removed)

Phrogz

I've seen no mention of SketchUp in this forum, so it may
be that many members are unaware of its capabilities and
promise. So, here is a brief rundown.

Well, the SketchUp Ruby API not entirely unused by the Ruby community.
For example, I wrote a method for creating geodesic spheres as part of
one Ruby Quiz:
http://phrogz.net/RubyLibs/rdoc/classes/Sketchup/Geodesic.html

That was back before Google bought @Last/SketchUp. I accept that I'm
not representative, though, because I have ex-coworkers now working on
the product, and the Google SketchUp office is right behind my
company's building :)

I'm surprised to learn how few Rubyists there are working at SketchUp,
though.

Adrian Loh

Been using Sketchup since pre-Google and just found out myself that
it's got a Ruby API. Where can I download the API? Would like to dive
into it soon. Thanks.

Rich Morin

Been using Sketchup since pre-Google and just found out
myself that it's got a Ruby API. Where can I download
the API? Would like to dive into it soon. Thanks.

It's built into SU 6. Here's a useful link:

http://download.sketchup.com/sketchuphelp/gsu6_ruby/Docs/Ruby-classes.html

See also (e-mail address removed)

-r