Slow ASP Pages on IIS 7

bluepete

I have migrated to Vista Business and installed IIS 7.0. I moved some
classic ASP pages from my old XP box running IIS to the new box. I've
made no changes to the code, which worked fine on the old machine.
They also run fine on a remote server. On the new machine, the ASP
pages are running extremely slow and timing out with the error "cannot
display the web page." I've verified that I'm making connections to my
Access database (which is fine for my low-volume site) and closing the
connections. I've checked the IIS log and seen no issues. I turned off
my firewall briefly, which didn't help. I watched perfmon and didn't
see that unusual amounts of resources were being used. I noticed after
some debugging that the .jpg images render extremely slowly. I'm
accessing the pages via this location in IE: http://mymachinename/default.asp.
I've run out of ideas. Please help.

bluepete in Seattle

Bob Barrows [MVP]

bluepete said:
[...]

..Can you provide a small repro page that exhibits these symptoms so we can
run it ourselves? Somebody here must have Vista (I don't).

bluepete

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"- Hide quoted text -

I figured out that ASP issue. Turns out that it had nothing to do with
ASP, but everything to do with a change in how Vista handles DNS
resolution on local machines. I discovered it totally by accident
while clicking around in the IIS manager. On XP Pro, you can put in
the machine name after http:// and the webserver will start (assuming
it's installed) and load the page. If you do the same thing on Vista,
it hangs. However, if you sub "localhost" or 127.0.0.1 for the machine
name on Vista, it works beautifully. Something for your files. This
was intensely frustrating. I'm surprised that no one else has spotted
this issue, as near as I can tell.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

bluepete said:
I figured out that ASP issue. Turns out that it had nothing to do with
ASP, but everything to do with a change in how Vista handles DNS
resolution on local machines. I discovered it totally by accident
while clicking around in the IIS manager. On XP Pro, you can put in
the machine name after http:// and the webserver will start (assuming
it's installed) and load the page. If you do the same thing on Vista,
it hangs. However, if you sub "localhost" or 127.0.0.1 for the machine
name on Vista, it works beautifully. Something for your files. This
was intensely frustrating. I'm surprised that no one else has spotted
this issue, as near as I can tell.

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm betting someone will appreciate this info
being available to google searches.