small dll hell

Guest

hey all,
i was wondering when i save my website to source safe and try to open the
website back up on a new virtual pc the dll will sometimes/always have a
..refresh extension on it and when i try to compile program it's like that dll
is not there. if i re-add the dll as a reference it's fine, but i don't
understand why or what it's doing . am i doing something wrong?

thanks,
rodchar

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The .refresh file is normal. It is a pointer to the location for the actual
DLL, which must remain constant from the realtive position of the site.

The best way to organize SourceSafe for this is to set a compiled DLL folder
just above the website and download the whole mess as a recursive folder
download. The .refresh file will look for the DLLs in the folder using
relative pathing, find the DLL and include it in your site.

If you are using the HTML front end for SourceSafe, this does not work ;-(

A way around it is to add a directory with the DLLs in the site itself. This
works fine, overall, but will ocassionally force you to delete ASP.NET
Temporary files as the compiler gets confused. I would not recommend this
unless you are forced to do it.

Guest

The best way to organize SourceSafe for this is to set a compiled DLL folder
just above the website and download the whole mess as a recursive folder
download. The .refresh file will look for the DLLs in the folder using
relative pathing, find the DLL and include it in your site.

i tried adding a folder to my solution above the web project but after i
added all the dlls to it i couldn't add it to my solution because when i
tried to browse to the folder in the Add Reference dialog i could find it.

i apologize if i'm misunderstanding this...
rod.