.so file not found: I need troubleshooting ideas

kj

I have a CGI script that fails only if I invoke it via an HTTP
request, but not if I run the exact same executable locally. In
the Apache logs I find an error of the form "Can't locate loadable
object for module Foo::Bar...". I'm wracking my brains trying to
figure out why the script fails to find the loadable object *only*
when it is run via an HTTP request.

I have checked all the usual reasons. In particular, 1) the loadable
object is in /some/path/i586-linux-thread-multi/auto/Foo/Bar/Bar.so,
and /some/path/i586-linux-thread-multi is in the @INC of the script
when run via an HTTP request; 2) the loadable object and every
directory in its path are all world-readable and world-executable;
and 3) the executable can find and use this loadable object without
any problem when I invoke it locally.

I have run out of troubleshooting ideas and after hours of trying
to figure this out my brain is mush. Can anyone suggest something
else I could do to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks in advance!

kj

xhoster

kj said:
I have a CGI script that fails only if I invoke it via an HTTP
request, but not if I run the exact same executable locally. In
the Apache logs I find an error of the form "Can't locate loadable
object for module Foo::Bar...". I'm wracking my brains trying to
figure out why the script fails to find the loadable object *only*
when it is run via an HTTP request.

I have checked all the usual reasons. In particular, 1) the loadable
object is in /some/path/i586-linux-thread-multi/auto/Foo/Bar/Bar.so,
and /some/path/i586-linux-thread-multi is in the @INC of the script
when run via an HTTP request;

Add the line:

-e "/some/path/i586-linux-thread-multi/auto/Foo/Bar/Bar.so" or die $!;

to the program right after the "use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);"

2) the loadable object and every
directory in its path are all world-readable and world-executable;

When you run through the httpd? Maybe you are running httpd in chroot jail
and can't see that path.

Xho