SocketException different handling in linux and win32

alberto.poz

In my architecture I have a server component and some clients that
keep an open connection to the server. If I stop the server all the
clients recive a SocketException: connection reset when they're
waiting for a read on the socket and that's good for my purpose.

The problem arises when I try to run the server on linux: the clients
never receive SocketException: connection reset

Does it depend on any options?

Gordon Beaton

The problem arises when I try to run the server on linux: the
clients never receive SocketException: connection reset

Does it depend on any options?

No, but the normal thing to expect is EOF, not connection reset.
Exactly how the clients detect EOF depends on the specific read
mechanism they use.

If you aren't seeing EOF then I expect you're doing something strange
in your client code, like checking with ready() or available() before
attempting to read. If that's the case, don't.

/gordon