Sockets and threads...

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Mark Seger, Nov 5, 2008.

  1. Mark Seger

    Mark Seger Guest

    I want to open some sockets in one thread and write to them from my main
    process and think this is very doable. I've been looking around a lot
    for answers to this and I think I've figure it out but would like to
    hear if my thinking is indeed correct:

    Sockets are global to the process/threads already and so you don't have
    to pass around file descriptors to make them visible to the main
    process. I had tried (and failed) to share descriptors and failed
    because they're not simple variables.

    Looking at some code snippets it feels like all I need to do is get the
    file number from $descriptor->fileno() and share that.

    One way to convert a file number, assuming it's in $fn back to a
    descriptor is the following:

    open ($fd, ">&$fn);

    and now I can syswrite() to it back in my main code. At least it seems
    to be working correctly. Is this indeed the 'preferred' way to do this?
    Am I missing something? Is there a better way?

    -mark

    Mark Seger, Nov 5, 2008

  2. Mark Seger

    zentara Guest

    Sharing filhandles thru the fileno is the way to go with threads.

    See http://perlmonks.org?node_id=662931

    for some ideas.

    zentara

    zentara, Nov 5, 2008

  3. Mark Seger

    xhoster Guest

    Open a socket to what? Are you opening sockets "internally" from one
    thread to another within the same process? Is the "open" doing the accept,
    or the connect?
    Can you show code to illustrate this problem?
    That only works if you only need to write on the socket. I can't
    figure out how to open if you need both read and write.
    In most cases I can dream up in which I might want to use this, I suspect
    I'd prefer to arrange the code differently in the first place.

    Xho

    this fact.

    xhoster, Nov 5, 2008
  4. Mark Seger

    Mark Seger Guest

    yes, clearly the way to go! I now have a thread that listens for
    connections, accepts them and writes the fileno into a share array.
    -mark

    Mark Seger, Nov 8, 2008