some annoying glitches - browser defaults?

Tim W

Some annoying things on my new site at www.stickydate.info . Borders
appear round links as they are clicked, as in the :active thingy. Menu
items go pink after visiting. None of this behaviour consistent but
varying from browser to browser. I assume this is default settings in
browsers for links. How do I fix it?

Tim w

Jonathan N. Little

Tim said:
Some annoying things on my new site at www.stickydate.info . Borders
appear round links as they are clicked, as in the :active thingy. Menu
items go pink after visiting. None of this behaviour consistent but
varying from browser to browser. I assume this is default settings in
browsers for links. How do I fix it?

Then specifically set the color property for links' :visited
pseudo-class. The if you are talking about temporary dotted border
highlight that also appears when you tab through your links...don't
disable that that is an assist to tell which link is in focus when
someone uses a keyboard to traverse your website.

Tim W

Then specifically set the color property for links' :visited
pseudo-class. The if you are talking about temporary dotted border
highlight that also appears when you tab through your links...don't
disable that that is an assist to tell which link is in focus when
someone uses a keyboard to traverse your website.
The 'temporary dotted border highlight' - is that the 'outline'? On my
splash/index page the outline appears as you click through to the site
and it is ugly and unecessary. I tried putting in the css the following:
a:active {outline-style: none;}
but it hasn't made any difference.

Tim W

Tim W

The 'temporary dotted border highlight' - is that the 'outline'? On my
splash/index page the outline appears as you click through to the site
and it is ugly and unecessary. I tried putting in the css the following:
a:active {outline-style: none;}
but it hasn't made any difference.

It's alright i have got rid of it now. It wasn't the :active pseudo
class it was another one - I changed it to
a {outline-style: none;}
I find those pseudo classes very confusing.

Tim w

Jonathan N. Little

Tim said:
It's alright i have got rid of it now. It wasn't the :active pseudo
class it was another one - I changed it to
a {outline-style: none;}
I find those pseudo classes very confusing.

':active' is a pseudo class, but 'outline-style' is not, it is a
property. A pseudo class type of selector.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html#pseudo-elements>

But as I said before you should not get rid of the focus outline. Its
purpose is to identify links when moving about a page with keyboard. Not
everyone will use a mouse pointer to navigate your page. I would at
least a preserve the "focus" outline and only remove the "active" one if
you find it too distracting, change your rule as such:

a:active { outline-style: none; }

Tim W

':active' is a pseudo class, but 'outline-style' is not, it is a
property. A pseudo class type of selector.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html#pseudo-elements>

I know that
But as I said before you should not get rid of the focus outline. Its
purpose is to identify links when moving about a page with keyboard. Not
everyone will use a mouse pointer to navigate your page. I would at
least a preserve the "focus" outline and only remove the "active" one if
you find it too distracting, change your rule as such:

a:active { outline-style: none; }

I hear what you say. I don't know if I need to be much bothered by the
idea of someone trying to read the site without a pointing device
(trying to look at the site without a computer?) of any kind but
nevertheless I have left the outlines (when the browsers inserted
them)on the menu items and removed them from the splash index page.

Tim w

Jonathan N. Little

Tim said:
I hear what you say. I don't know if I need to be much bothered by the
idea of someone trying to read the site without a pointing device

Yes, it is called a keyboard and the TAB key. For some it is a
convenience for others a necessity that compromised motor skills
prevents using a mouse (of for some of not impaired the dang touch-pad
or laptop nipple!)
(trying to look at the site without a computer?)

Yes, like a smartphone for one.
of any kind but
nevertheless I have left the outlines (when the browsers inserted
them)on the menu items and removed them from the splash index page.

Well the splash page is another issue...