Spacing Tag

freesoft_2000

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the the html tag for spacings via the space
bar on the keyboard just like the <br></br> is to break a line.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

dorayme

<[email protected].
com>,
"freesoft_2000 said:
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the the html tag for spacings via the space
bar on the keyboard just like the <br></br> is to break a line.

These&nbsp;eight&nbsp;words&nbsp;have&nbsp;no&nbsp;space&nbsp;betw
een&nbsp;them.

Els

dorayme said:

in HTML: <br>
in XHTML: said:
These&nbsp;eight&nbsp;words&nbsp;have&nbsp;no&nbsp;space&nbsp;betw
een&nbsp;them.

I think they do. They have 7 non-breaking spaces between them. :p

The HTML "tag" for spacings via the space bar, is just a press on the
spacebar afaics. No HTML tag.
If you are looking for HTML entities to replace spaces with (no idea
why one would wanna do that):
en space : &ensp;
em space : &emsp;
thin space : &thinsp;

I think the &ensp; is the one similar to a single press on the space
bar. Never used any of these though, you'd have to check what they do
on a real HTML page.

dorayme

in HTML: <br>
in XHTML: said:
These&nbsp;eight&nbsp;words&nbsp;have&nbsp;no&nbsp;space&nbsp;betw
een&nbsp;them.

I think they do. They have 7 non-breaking spaces between them. :p[/QUOTE]

Oops... a double mistake of mine... just thought non breaking
space was wanted...but don't ask me why I rushed to think this,
or say this, there seems no excuse at all! I looked deeply to see
if there was one. I hired a lawyer for 3 min (it cost) and
nada... The question for me is is this happening progressively
more often or not? Must eat more fish.

David Dorward

freesoft_2000 said:
Does anyone know the the html tag for spacings via the space
bar on the keyboard just like the <br></br> is to break a line.

There are numerous reasons for wanting to insert multiple spaces, they
are usually covered by using <pre>, a data <table>, margins or the
text-indent property.

Its hard to tell without knowing the details of the specific case.

Jonathan N. Little

freesoft_2000 said:
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the the html tag for spacings via the space
bar on the keyboard just like the <br></br> is to break a line.

Depends on that you are trying to do, if it is just to separate to
groups of letter just insert whitespace no element:

ABCD EFGH

If you just want to adjust the space around elements, 'padding' and
'margin' properties, for the word ans letters within 'letter-spacing'
and 'word-spacing'

<head>
<title>Word Play</title>

..lonely { margin-left: 10em; margin-right: 10em; }
..spacey { word-spacing: 2em }
..stretched { letter-spacing: 2em; }

</head>

in its paragraph.</p>

Jukka K. Korpela

Els said:
If you are looking for HTML entities to replace spaces with (no idea
why one would wanna do that):
en space : &ensp;
em space : &emsp;
thin space : &thinsp;

I can imagine reasons for wanting specific amount of spacing at the
character level, but that doesn't make the fixed-width spaces work; see
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/spaces.html
I think the &ensp; is the one similar to a single press on the space
bar.

No, &ensp; is a fixed-width space. If it's width happens to coincide with
the width of a normal space, that's just incidental.