Special characters in java, oracle and html

Barry Olly

Hi,

I'm working on a mini content management system and need help with
dealing with special characters.

The input are taken from html form which are then stored into a
varchar column in oracle database.

When i retrieve the data, some of the special characters have been
changed to ??? and also
fields with double quote are modified.

I believe there two issues;

1. dealing with special characters

2. display special characters back in html form textfield after
retrieving.

e.g.

This is the line with "quote" saved to database
This is the line with "quote" retrieved from database

This is the line with displayed in html text field.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Lutus

Barry said:
Hi,

I'm working on a mini content management system and need help with
dealing with special characters.

Don't cross-post without a reason. Please say which distribution, which
database, which source application, which destination application.

Choose one newsgroup. Make one post.

Bogus follow-up deleted.

Doyle

I believe there two issues;

1. dealing with special characters

2. display special characters back in html form textfield after
retrieving.

The quick and dirty method would be to put a character filter the end
of your i/o operation that is giving you trouble.

public class Filter
{
public String filter(String input)
{
// for each special character, convert it into its
// appropriate escape/ampersand sequence and add it back into the
string
// in the place of the special character e.g. > ==> &lt

mypetrock