speedier alternative to LWP?

Andrew Fisher

Hi there all,

I am writing a little script that gets some data from a couple of
servers. One of these is a database and no probs there though the
other is a web server that I don't have control over. I am using LWP
to get the page I want then dump it so I can do some processing,
matching etc as you normally do.

I am running this as a CGI script on an Apache Web server. LWP has
been updated to current version. Final medium for this app is a WAP
phone.

Now, the interesting bits:

Total script time on average is < 10 seconds [lots of processing] and
has been optimised quite heavily.

If I run the script locally it works like a dream.

If I run the script from a web browser it returns without a problem.

If I run the script from a wap phone OR wap emulator it fails. It is
failing at the point where I do my $response=get($url); giving a read
timeout error.

The timeout on the server is 300 seconds as per normal and this is for
scripts as well as pages so no probs there [as it works from web
browser this definitely isn't the problem].

If I take the get command out and just process from a file the script
works 100%. If I put it back in then it fails. I have had it working
once but I suspect that the time I had it working, the response was
cached so it returned blindingly fast.

Getting to the bottom of this now, my question is: Is there a faster
alternative to LWP or am I going to have to scratch my idea?

Cheers
Andrew F