sprintf problems

merrittr

I am trying to build variables for a function using sprintf. However
they don't seem to be proper
char strings since submiting literals seems to work fine. Any advice
to get me rolling?

sprintf( i1, "%s %s \0",v1,v2 );
sprintf( i1, "%s %s \0",v3,v4 );
printf("answer %s\n",add(cTypeCurr,i1,i2));
printf("answer %s\n",add("i","3 i","4 i"));

here is the output I get:

---retval èG♥ èG♥
---0.000000 3 i 4 i

the function:

char *add(char *ctype, char *i, char *j)
{
double x,y,z,a;
static char retval[10]="retval";
printf("---%s %s %s\n",retval,i,j); <--output line
x=atof(i);
y=atof(j);
z=x+y;
sprintf( retval, "%f",z );
return retval;

Jack Klein

I am trying to build variables for a function using sprintf. However
they don't seem to be proper
char strings since submiting literals seems to work fine. Any advice
to get me rolling?

sprintf( i1, "%s %s \0",v1,v2 );

What is the definition of 'i1', and what are the contents of 'v1' and
'v2'? Are v1 and v2 strings, or are they numeric values?
sprintf( i1, "%s %s \0",v3,v4 );

Do you realize that this sprintf() just overwrites the value of the
last sprintf()?
printf("answer %s\n",add(cTypeCurr,i1,i2));

What is 'cTypeCurr'?
printf("answer %s\n",add("i","3 i","4 i"));

here is the output I get:

---retval èG? èG?
---0.000000 3 i 4 i

the function:

char *add(char *ctype, char *i, char *j)
{
double x,y,z,a;
static char retval[10]="retval";
printf("---%s %s %s\n",retval,i,j); <--output line
x=atof(i);
y=atof(j);
z=x+y;
sprintf( retval, "%f",z );
return retval;

Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
FAQs for
comp.lang.c http://c-faq.com/
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++

Flash Gordon

merrittr wrote, On 21/05/07 07:43:
I am trying to build variables for a function using sprintf. However
they don't seem to be proper
char strings since submiting literals seems to work fine. Any advice
to get me rolling?

sprintf( i1, "%s %s \0",v1,v2 );

<snip>

You probably have something wrong before this line is executed. However,
since you have not provided a *complete* compilable example showing the
problem it is anybodies guess.

One thing I do know is that you need to reread the chapter in your text
book that introduces string literals, since you do not need the explicit \0.

merrittr

the v1,v2,v3,v4 vars ar built like this:

cVal=getchar();
while(cVal != '\n')
{
v1[iCharCount++] = tolower(cVal);
cVal=getchar();
}
v1[iCharCount++]='\0';
iCharCount=0;

typically vi v2 v3 v4 are "5 i" or "4.5 d"

cTypeCurr = "i" or "d" I don't think I will need this variable it is a
remnant of something I was trying.

whoops the second i1 should have been i2

I added the \0 after I was getting these results , sort of as a long
shot
to see if my string termination wasn't working. So sprintf null
terminates eh?

sprintf( i1, "%s %s \0",v1,v2 );
sprintf( i2, "%s %s \0",v3,v4 );
printf("answer %s\n",add(cTypeCurr,i1,i2));
printf("answer %s\n",add("i","3 i","4 i"));

here is the output I get:

---retval èG♥ èG♥
---0.000000 3 i 4 i

Nick Keighley

leave some context in your posts
[...]

so why don't you POST A COMPLETE COMPILABLE EXAMPLE? As you
have been asked to (twice). Don't put in things like
"typically" and "this was left over from one I did before".

For instance this is complete and compilable. It is also
problably wrong because you made me guess a lot

****************
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

char *add (char *ctype, char *i, char *j)
{
double x,y,z;
static char retval[10] = "retval";

printf ("---%s %s %s\n", retval, i, j);
x = atof(i);
y = atof(j);
z = x + y;
sprintf (retval, "%f", z);

return retval;
}

int main (void)
{
char i1 [100];
char i2 [100];
char *r1;
char *r2;
char *v1 = "5 i";
char *v2 = "4.5 d";
char *v3 = "5 i"; /* 4 variables and you give me two
examples... */
char *v4 = "4.5 d";

sprintf (i1, "%s %s", v1, v2);
sprintf (i2, "%s %s", v3, v4);

r1 = add("h",i1,i2); /* no idea what cTypeCur is */
printf ("answer %s\n", r1);
r2 = add("i","3 i","4 i");
printf ("answer %s\n", r2);

return 0;
}

*************

the output looks like this:-

G:\Debug>mer.exe
---retval 5 i 4.5 d 5 i 4.5 d
answer 10.000000
---10.000000 3 i 4 i
answer 7.000000

which is different from yours so I guessed wrong.

Flash Gordon

Nick Keighley wrote, On 21/05/07 12:55:
leave some context in your posts

Because of this

so why don't you POST A COMPLETE COMPILABLE EXAMPLE? As you
have been asked to (twice). Don't put in things like
"typically" and "this was left over from one I did before".

and this which Nick pointed out, Merrittr has lost the opportunity of me
trying to help, and others may feel the same. If s/he can't be bothered
to make it easy for those helping the chances people being helpful
rapidly decrease.

I may or may not change my mind if s/he takes note and posts sensibly.

Francine.Neary

sprintf( i1, "%s %s \0",v1,v2 );
sprintf( i2, "%s %s \0",v3,v4 );
printf("answer %s\n",add(cTypeCurr,i1,i2));
printf("answer %s\n",add("i","3 i","4 i"));

here is the output I get:

---retval èG♥ èG♥
---0.000000 3 i 4 i

Guess 1: You didn't allocate enough (any?) memory for i1 and i2.
Guess 2: Bug in the function add you tell us nothing about results in
the garbage.