SQL Server 2005 connection problems in XP

Ana Lopez

Hello everyone,

I have been looking all over to see if I can get my problem resolved and
alas, I have not been successful. Could someone help?

I am trying to connect to a database in XP that resides on a SQL Server
2005. I downloaded and installed the Ruby-One-Time-Installer, so that
gives me the odbc package.

The question is, how do I specify the datasource address if the database
is residing on a server not on my local machine?

Here is a snip of my code:

require 'DBI'

conn =
DBI.connect('DBI:ODBC:fooServer\fooDevServer\Databases\db',username,password)

Is this correct? I have changed to forward slashes, to colons, but to no
avail. I keep getting the following error:

C:/INSTAN~1/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in
`connect': IM002 (0) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name
not found and no default driver specified (DBI::DatabaseError)
from C:/INSTAN~1/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi/dbi.rb:584:in
`connect'
from C:/INSTAN~1/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi/dbi.rb:384:in
`connect'
from Database_test.rb:18

Can someone let me know what I am missing?

Thanks,

Ana

Sam Smoot

[...]

So this "server" is a SQLExpress database file? You probably need an
ODBC style connection string. This is my favest site in the world for
connection strings: http://connectionstrings.com/?carrier=sqlserver I
don't even bother to remember 'em anymore. :)

Ana Lopez

As an added note, an ODBC connection needs to be created in Windows,
seperate from your Ruby script. You can create an ODBC connection by
going to the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->ODBC Data Source->User
DSN->Add

This is what I really needed to figure out. Now I just use the name that
I gave to my newly created datasource into my code and it works. Here is
an example:

Data source was created with the name "fooDB"

require 'DBI'

conn =
DBI.connect('DBI:ODBC:fooDB',username,password)